Flow end problem

At the moment (1.2.10.139) I can’t

• delete the last empty bar in a flow via Shift-B -1 oder via trim flow
  • use Shift-D to input dynamics on the selected notes in the last bar in a flow.

You can use the Trim Flow function, i think it’s under Edit in Write mode.

as I indicated, trim flow also does not do the job.

Are you trying to do this in a part? You need to ensure that the last bar really is empty, in ALL instruments, before you attempt to trim it.

Oh sorry, I missed that part!

I think I found the one problem for the “does not trim”-case:
The bar seemed empty, but was not.
A cresc hairpin ended with a mf, which seemed to belong to the
pre-last bar (and really should be part of that bar), but it is linked to the last bar.
See att.
cresc-end-mf-assigned-to-following-bar.jpg
But this does not explain, why I cant DELETE the bar via Shift-B -1 !
Delete does not need empty bars to work.

from a logical point of view it does explain.
You want to tell the software to delete one bar?
It will not, because you really want to tell the software to delete one bar and another item, which populates that bar. So you actually want to tell the software to do two things. That is, why you have to do so 1) tell the software to delete the hairpin 2) tell the software to delete that bar. This is how the logic works, I think.

As logical as it might be, it never feels helpful. It would be ok Dorico could highlight or otherwise specify the reason why it is not deleting a bar. Obviously trim flow shouldn’t trim unless everything is empty, but the popover IMVHO should. There still seems to be guesswork involved with b-35 etc. (for me…). I hope that eventually we’ll get a method of selecting bars as entities - it has, I think, been mentioned that this is in the works.

hmm, are they entities? bars and bar lines are not a prison and it’s window, even if they might feel like it.
The actual music is completely it’s own thing, a sort of sound stream. That way bars and bar lines are not containers but rather signposts on the way…

It might be handy to have an “about” (or a much better term) for a measure, that states what’s in a measure. Stuff can get hidden, like turning things white or 0% size, or other stuff that’s background data.

K_b, I know where you’re coming from, but it’s like the difference between DP and Logic in handling midi data. DP might be more ‘correct’ with it’s stream of notes, but Logic is often way quicker for selecting and editing.

And yet normally you can pick a bar in the middle of a project and delete it with the popover. It doesn’t have to be empty first.

ok, just experimented a bit. Yes, no problem to delete a bar with something in it SHIFT+B -1
Strnge, even if I have a hairpin reaching the last bar I can delete it with SHIFT+B -1
May be something has changed with Doricos last version??

I had exactly the same problem, and nothing seemed to be “hanging over” from a previous measure, BUT I then discovered after unhiding signposts, that my final measure which I couldn’t previously delete, had a “frame break” attached to it. After I deleted the frame break, I was able to delete the final measure. One may assume that a “system break” might cause the same problem. You may want to check this out if you can’t delete the final measure.

Dorico-Team! finally, please, makes the mistake with the “last bar delete” away.
Everyone thinks different tricks to bypass the error.
Finally takes your ambition, the correct debugger and sets the correct trigger points and finds it finally :exclamation:

Excuse-me, Piano-EK, but I do not understand what you have written (#15 post just up-there…)
Is it a request to the team to put an end to these problems with deleting the last bar? If so, I’m quite confident they’re aware that it has caused problems to many users and they probably will come with nice ways to avoid that these happen like they still do. If not, can you explain (to me, at least) in detail ? Since I’m french, it could be related to my english skills :wink:

It is a commentary to (see top):
"…I can’t

• delete the last empty bar in a flow via Shift-B -1 oder via trim flow …".

The error existed long. I have also a trick to this problem published.The error is in the program.It is high time, so that it will be fixed.

I do not understand actually.
What is a bar?
A bar is basically just the frame or container for it’s content.
This means, I can not delete a “bar”.
It does mean I can (freely) delete the contents of a bar - if I am aware there is a content.
So the solution in my eyes would be something that lets one spot the content of a bar (to be able to decide, wether one wants to get rid of that content).
After that “deleting” the bar/frame is a secondary decision.
It is a good thing that the the control over these two aspects is left to the user of the software…

We have signposts for things like System Breaks. If we choose to turn them off that’s our own fault, isn’t it?

may be a very simple key command to show/hide signposts would be perfect for this kind of situations…