Flow headings and numbers: editing and hiding

I am brand new and using Dorico SE - just getting started. I am just trying to make my first simple jazz lead sheet. Because my version is SE there is no “Engrave” menu item, but that shouldn’t matter because I do have the Layout Options. I want to totally hide the number and the name of the single flow in my score. I followed the instructions at the Dorico " Hiding/Showing flow headings" page and opened the Layout Options panel and selected “Never” for my “Show Flow Headings” option. After applying this and confirming that the change was applied (be reopening the Layout Options), the flow heading is still showing at the top of my first and only page. What am I doing wrong?

The chances are you’ve somehow created a page override, probably by manually typing into a text frame on that page. Once a page is overridden these sorts of automated changes to frames can’t take effect on that page until the overrides are removed. Unfortunately while it’s possible to create overrides in SE it’s not possible to remove them.

Best bet is probably to create a new layout from the right panel of Setup mode, (assign players to it if it’s not a score layout,) set the Layout Options correctly for that layout before you adjust anything manually, then delete the old layout.

@David_Ziffer Make sure you’re adding titles etc in Project Info, rather than directly on the page.

Thanks Lillie. I’m a computer programmer so I understand the concept of macros. When I clicked on the page elements (such as the flow header) I realized that they contained macro expansions and that the macro data must be supplied elsewhere, so I didn’t modify the page elements. I eventually found the Project Info and provided my custom text there. But regardless of what is in the flow headers (macro expansions or not), it does seem to me that when I specify that flow headers should never be shown (using Layout Options), they shouldn’t be shown.

Dear David
There are headers and there are headings. This is confusing — especially for a French fellow like me… I think (I might be wrong) that the Layout options >Page setup options is about the automatic titling of flows via headings. If you don’t want headers and don’t have access to the pro tier, ask for someone in the forum to modify your file, especially the default masterpages, so that they no longer show {@flowtitle@}.

1 Like

Is there some way in these forums to ask if there’s someone in the Minneapolis area who could sit with me for awhile and help me out? I am trying to use Dorico as a point-and-click app. Almost all the things that I try to do based on my intuition from its interface don’t work. Either I don’t understand Dorico’s whole UI paradigm, or Dorico is not the right product for me. How would I go about asking for local help?

I’m sure you’ll be able to find someone locally, but : Dorico is not really an app you can just ‘point and click’ - in the same way that Photoshop or InDesign aren’t either.

If you haven’t already, I would go through the First Steps Guide.

I’m sure you know about the Youtube channel, which has some excellent tutorials.

Having said that, once you’ve learnt a few of the key paradigms and methods, Dorico is remarkably consistent. (Metakeys + arrows always work the same way for all objects.)

And of course, you can always ask here!

Thanks much. I will look at the documentation first. I’ve seen some of the YouTube demos and they don’t help - they seem to be made by people who know the product intimately and who know exactly what they’re going to write and exactly how to write it without making any mistakes. If I could do all that, I wouldn’t be experiencing any frustrations.

Perhaps. But the advice you have been given to work through the First Steps Guide is not made idly. If you take the time to complete it, you will learn all the basics of the Dorico workflow and the UI and your frustration level will reduce!

There are some users here on the forum who offer private instruction via Zoom. I was one of them until recently; my workload has increased and I don’t really do it much anymore, but there are others who do.