Flow Numbers as Staff Labels?

Does anyone know of an easy way to use flow numbers as staff labels?

Frequently, with sets of pieces in one form (i.e., 24 Preludes for Piano) for a solo instrument, the piece’s number within the opus is used in the first system’s staff label position. I have used two methods to achieve this, but neither is ideal: 1) A text object applied to the first note of the first measure; aligning them consistently is always the challenge. 2) In shorter sets, I have used multiple players of the same instrument, labeled numerically, and assigned chronologically to each flow. This second option eliminates the alignment problems, but it seems too small a result for such a big workaround.

If a better approach exists, please fill me in. The use of tokens would be great, but I can’t think of a way to make it work currently. Maybe the team could add a check-box in the layout options that allows the staff labels to use flow numbers instead of instrument names or players. I realize this would not be a high-priority item, but it would help me a lot.

Thanks, everyone! -C

There’s no good way to do this at the moment, Chase, but it’s been requested before and I agree that it would be a useful thing for Dorico to be able to do.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I’ll stick with my current workaround until other options can be implemented.