Focus On MIDI For Next Build Cycle

Finish Expression Maps so you can display labels for all articulations entered. Works poorly with vast VSL instruments because the labels on the lanes disappear after too many are entered. Imagine if the Project Window worked like this. It is an outrage! It needs a scroll bar!

More midi effects and update the current ones. They have been the same for years with only minor updates. As an example, midi echo can go up or down but not a zig-zag pattern. The midi echo could have a user programmable pattern.

Algorithmic composer

+1 Here… MIDI needs to be improved for sure… Especially the Score Editing part…
I can give you as an example the Pro Tools, after the implementation of Sibelius into the DAW… They now have ready for printing scores, not notes which look 8 bit graphic.
Another point is to make Cubase 8 + to be able to work properly only with writing scores. There are people who would prefer to use the Score Editor for composing instead of Piano Roll.
Yeah, I know that Steinberg is going to release new Notation program which would change the market, but anyway, I would prefer to have well engraved scores and to use the Score Editor as functional as the Piano Roll…
Even it would be great if I’m able to create normal Symphonic Orchestra score sheets…
If there is opportunity to change the positions of the midi tracks in Project Editor, by editing them in the Score Editor, it would be awesome, too… :slight_smile:
I have more ideas about the functionality of the Score Editor, but I don’t have any hope someone from Steinberg to pay attention on them…

P.S:
Another of my requests related to the score editing you would find here:

There is no point in them doing anything to the score editor now because it is all going to be junked. Email Daniel Spreadbury, he answers all emails.

“We are still building up the core of our application’s functionality, but our approach remains to focus above all on quality, rather than speed. If our application is going to be worth the time and attention of professional composers, arrangers, engravers, copyists, and teachers, then it must not only have a critical mass of features, but it must also have both a more efficient workflow and a faster path to excellent results than the tools professionals are already using. That’s a high bar for us to meet, but we are determined to clear it.”

CubeDAW, I’m up to date about the upcoming notation program of Steinberg, and I’m waiting to see it.
My idea is Steinberg to do some useful changes about the notation in Cubase, to improve the scoring system… I would prefer to work more with scores than with piano roll.
They even could make an option to change the piano roll window into scoring window, to write notes, instead of midi lines…
I hope they would do something about that… :slight_smile:

They won’t do it mark my word. Why would they work on something that is just going to be thrown away? Cubase scoring has to be a junior version of their scoring program, period. They don’t care about it anymore because they have a better team working on it. Don’t you see?

+1
for Expression Map Editor scroll bar idea, midi editor, midi editing, and midi chains to VST.

Going back MIDI controls, how many people here have used another DAW such as Ableton or Logic Pro?

I’m trying to illiterate the importance of being able to control the DAW with MIDI controllers. Take this scenario for example; You want to play your keyboard MIDI controller on a selected instrument track in the arrangement window, but at the same time you want to control a filter sweep on another track. I completely dislike the VST quick tracks and rather assign DAW controls to hardware controls via MIDI learn, making simultaneous MIDI control possible.

With the MIDI quick learn there could then be a control window that allows you to further configure the MIDI assignment; add, delete, flip and chain controls together. For example, moving the knob from left to right on the MIDI hardware could control a filter, but from that very same knob it controls the dry/wet mix of a reverb. The flip feature would then help by allowing you to move two or more parameters in opposite directions. In the case of chaining the reverb up with the filter, whilst the low-cut filter moves through the higher frequencies, the dry/wet reverb mix goes down all whilst being controlled from a clockwise knob movement.

quickcontrols are a far cry from what controller mapping should look like this day and age. it’s so poor.

having said that-- you can in fact, in your quickcontrols list, learn (“L”) (or manually select from the list) a parameter from any other track in the project. for manually selecting, shift+click the quickcontrols slot instead of just clicking on it. you then get a list of all of the channels currently present in a project. that way, you can have a channel that has quickcontrols each affecting a parameter on a different track if you wish.

Hey, suntower, yes, now that you mention it! Good point. Let them give midi some attention again. Workflow improvements there would be nice.

That would be wonderful.

I have been feeling the same way the past couple of years- not just with Steinberg, but Ableton and Native Instruments as well.

Software companies are making it easier and easier to generate bad, uninspired music, while I just want better ways to realize and tweak the ideas I already have.

+1

…yes I like to work primarily in the Score Editor, then make adjustments in the Logical Editor. Cubase tends to be biased against working flexibly in this mode. I guess we will have to wait some time before we see the fruits of the new score development team being embedded in Cubase, and I’m not sure if the integration will improve workflow dramatically or just improve the presentation. However, I’d like Expression Maps and Note Expression being developed further - especially by extending the range of score symbols, and allowing custom or 3rd party symbol fonts to be used (I’m on 7.5, not sure if 8 has changed this). Currently I need to use text for symbols that are not present - this soon clutters the score.

Ooh, yes, controller integration redone like that would be great. To have a list with assigned controllers and their destinations like in Live. That should be doable.

This would make me so happy.

Yes drawing of CC automation really need improvement, but I also like ( Bezier Curves & Automation Tools - Cubase - Steinberg Forums ) the ability to modulate them.

Some of the midi plug-in are so old, it doesn’t mean they are bad but more than 10 years with no real update except the Gui… My last request about those plug was about 6 or 7 years ago, but I abandoned them as my feeling was some kind of discontinued product…
I beleive that there is some area like some of those midi-plug that need more attention.

After all the good stuff they gave us since those last update, I also really wish that in futur they focus on Midi, it’s one of the root tool for creativity as Cubase shows for years that it’s not only a mixing Daw :wink:

+1

what this feature is good for ? im curious !

I accidentally move the locators ALL the time… especially in the MIDI editor… It happens when one clicks on the ruler to zoom in and out or change position.