Focus zooming on current cursor position?

Hi team,

I’d appreciate to be able to zoom into the current cursor position using the mouse wheel, please… :wink:

Thanks for considering!
Benji

On a Mac you can zoom in and out on a Dorico page by holding down the cmd (command) key and moving the mouse wheel. Many (most?/all?) web browsers have this feature also. The Windows equivalent would probably be to hold down the ctrl (control) key.

Steven, thx, but I’d like to zoom into the point where the mouse cursor is at the time
:slightly_smiling_face:

B.

Yes, that works in Windows. Thanks for the useful tip.

In Dorico the zoom in is to the centre of the displayed image. If you drag the page around so that your “target” is in the middle of the page, then it will behave the way you describe. The same goes for if you have made a selection and want to zoom in on that selection - make sure it is centred in the window.
I use the Firefox web browser. When you zoom in, it anchors the top left corner of the page and expands the rest of the page down and to the right irrespective of where the mouse cursor is, or if you have selected any text on the page. So, it varies between applications and is probably not an easy thing to customise.

In Windows I’m finding something slightly different.
If I select something in the music and then zoom in, Dorico helpfully keeps the selection visible in the window even if it’s at the edge or in a corner of the window.
(Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to work the same way for frames in Engrave mode.)

This has been requested several times. Search for “zoom” in Dorico topics and you’ll find many.

1 Like

I’m sorry… :wink:
B

How can Dorico possibly incorporate a variable of consumer-interest with only a single post of a request? More posts of the same request should bring the feature to their attention more effectively and make it a higher priority.

Daniel S. has already said that, although the Development Team reads every post here and notes down productive suggestions, what they include in Dorico and when are not subject to user popularity. They have a roadmap which, although flexible, guides their work on the program.

2 Likes

I downloaded a 5.1, 60-day trial only to be disappointed with the same and many additional bugs from 4.x.

All the icons on the left side were randomly enlarged and in the way of half of the rest of the left-side UI. It required a restart several times.

There’s still no way to add logarithmic or exponential curves to expression lanes. The input and adjustment is also very twitchy and glitchy. not a fair complaint really since no other notation software even comes with automation lanes that I know of. But, Sibelius combined with Graphical MIDI Tools 2 for an extra $60 puts Dorico behind only because there is no scripting capability in Dorico.

I did a thorough job of quantizing all my MIDI in Logic and Sibelius handled it flawlessly on the first try. Dorico decided to use random 32th note tuplets while no tuplets in the score required a faster rhythm than 8th note tuplets. And needless ties or slurs were included as usual. None of the settings (believe me when I say I tried them all, in different combinations) produced a better result.

The pedal lines are FANTASTIC! I will happily admit! The only thing that can improve this imo would be if retakes could be moved from one rhythmic position to the next or previous one. Removing them with one shortcut and adding them with a different shortcut is just weird. Feel free to share a better workflow if there is one.

I wrote a plugin in Sibelius that allows me to position “retakes” (pedal lift again) left or right to adjacent rhythmic positions with a shortcut for either direction. Dorico doesn’t have scripting capability and probably won’t for at least 5 years, it seems.

Still no solid implementation for Virtual Drumline.

Still no way to deeply edit notehead appearance or function.

This was only about a few hours of playing around. The bug to bliss ratio was way too high to continue. So, 59 days of free trial will have to go to waste.

Overall, this was a hugely disappointing “break-it” situation for me and I’ve upgraded my 7.5 Sibelius license to a perpetual license of 2023.x for $149.

I can adapt to any software within in a few days. I’m not worried about getting old and being unable to get used to new software. I WILL buy it if it becomes better than Sibelius for me.

I’ll wait until v6.0. Not paying $600 for 5.x. I really want to like this software. I’m honestly trying my best to. But as it stands, I would not even pay $60 for it.

One might question if that is “trying your best.”
If you are happier waiting, by all means I wish you the best.

Straw-man argument. I’ve tried every single version update since 3.x. Each update I try for less and less time. That should be obvious.

Why on Earth would I pursue a program with so many unresolved bugs? What honestly makes you believe that pushing more hours into 5.1 is going to make me happier with the large bug to bliss ratio I’ve discovered only in the first few hours? Did you even read the rest of my post other than that one little “flaw” you’ve falsely interpreted?

I don’t believe for a moment that you’re honestly “wish me the best”. That just comes across as lazy lip-service. I don’t know who you are, but the leaders of the cult community you reside in are cowards and have permanently banned me from facebook simply for providing negative feedback.