FOLD option on MIDI editor - Cubase 10.5 -- now implemented

yes please!

1 Like

I do everything from complex orchestral work to beat programming and Fold would be an incredible tool to have at my disposal when needed. SO many examples of when it would be great and save time.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite features on Ableton. I mainly use it to fold a scale (which in Ableton requires adding the notes of the scale first). That can be solved with a way to select a scale and “disable” notes not in the scale. It’s also useful for samplers/drum machines, where not all notes have sounds on them.

This will be an amazing addition to Cubase! As someone who spends a large amount of my life working with drum programming this is a GIGANTIC time saver! The continuing collapse of my key editor when smashed into the project window makes that view style more usable. I only see the kit pieces I use and don’t have to switch views to edit. If I need more articulations, I simply press the Fold or Uncollapse button, add the articulation, and fold it again to now see that articulation in the collapsed view.

I just found out about this feature in Logic Pro X when I loaded it up to try out because my workflow in Cubase 10 continues to be sloppy and frustrating. Logic had some real wins over Cubase and collapsing the piano roll to only include the notes I use was one such revelation. PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS!

+1

+1

YES!!! Finally somebody who suggests a new function that improves creative speed and work flow a lot.
I ONE 100% SUPPORT this suggestion, and hope Steinie can implement this, in the most simple straightforward way possible.

Thanks OP, keep it coming :slight_smile:

In cubase it’s just a little different you select the midi part then DISSOLVE THE MIDI PART, then select display in lanes and band each lane is each not of your scale

+1

I can imagine good use cases for this including writing passages and better display of the notes. But what if the music modulates from one scale to another frequently?

Is this what the drum creator does.

+1

+1

+2 FOR ME! I use specific scales, so this helps me to see my whole score much easier.

This is an option.

Fold the piano roll at note level (notes used), also ability to select scale, example (E major) and fold it at scale level… makes it nice and visual, possibility of entering out of key note disappears. I know cubase can do this now using chord track, putting in a blank chord and defining a user scale. But you still have note lanes you are not working with, in other words it’s not Zen. So please cubase developers, for the love of GOD, of music, add this in … :slight_smile: I promise I will upgrade to cubase 11 pro from 10.5…

Some admin please edit my original title request for Cubase 11. Thank you!

Im urprised this feature is not yet implemented in Cubase 11!

In_Stereo wrote:

I do everything from complex orchestral work to beat programming and Fold would be an incredible tool to have at my disposal when needed. SO many examples of when it would be great and save time.

eshy wrote:

This is one of my favorite features on Ableton. I mainly use it to fold a scale (which in Ableton requires adding the notes of the scale first). That can be solved with a way to select a scale and “disable” notes not in the scale. It’s also useful for samplers/drum machines, where not all notes have sounds on them.

demogorgon wrote:

This will be an amazing addition to Cubase! As someone who spends a large amount of my life working with drum programming this is a GIGANTIC time saver! The continuing collapse of my key editor when smashed into the project window makes that view style more usable. I only see the kit pieces I use and don’t have to switch views to edit. If I need more articulations, I simply press the Fold or Uncollapse button, add the articulation, and fold it again to now see that articulation in the collapsed view.

I just found out about this feature in Logic Pro X when I loaded it up to try out because my workflow in Cubase 10 continues to be sloppy and frustrating. Logic had some real wins over Cubase and collapsing the piano roll to only include the notes I use was one such revelation. PLEASE IMPLEMENT THIS!

WK1 wrote:

YES!!! Finally somebody who suggests a new function that improves creative speed and work flow a lot.
I ONE 100% SUPPORT this suggestion, and hope Steinie can implement this, in the most simple straightforward way possible.

Thanks OP, keep it coming :slight_smile:

valkolton wrote:

+2 FOR ME! I use specific scales, so this helps me to see my whole score much easier.

CUBASE6_USER wrote:

Fold the piano roll at note level (notes used), also ability to select scale, example (E major) and fold it at scale level… makes it nice and visual, possibility of entering out of key note disappears. I know cubase can do this now using chord track, putting in a blank chord and defining a user scale. But you still have note lanes you are not working with, in other words it’s not Zen. So please cubase developers, for the love of GOD, of music, add this in … :slight_smile: I promise I will upgrade to cubase 11 pro from 10.5…

Steinberg developers and @ Matthias_Quellmann, are you reading this comments above?

Fold is a great helper tool, it worth to implement it in @Cubase 11

> Im urprised this feature is not yet implemented in Cubase 11!

Huh? This IS implemented in Cubase 11! It’s called Pitch Visibility.

And you can choose between
-“Show pitches with Events” (show only used notes)
-“Show pitches from Scale Assistant” (show only notes from a chosen scale) (+ used notes outside of the scale are shown with an exclamation mark).
The Scale Assistant alternative can also use the Chord Track mode if you like.

Pitch Visibility

2 Likes

This IS implemented in Cubase 11! It’s called Pitch Visibility.

Wow! you are right! so many features I haven’t discovered yet! Steinberg listens to their users! <3