Folder management

I agree with PleaseDontBanMe, I have no problems finding the latest cpr, and prefer to see the bak files in the same folder. If cubase hangs (very rare with cubase 10 in my experience, more frequent on older versions) it’s reassuring to quickly check the folder and make sure there’s a backup before shutting down with the task manager. Or try to make notes about what might be lost because there isn’t a backup!

For one, its Pro Tools, Logic and Sibelius (soon to be Dorico)

Two, I have paid for every version of Cubase since 5 so I have every right as a decade long customer to ask for changes that promote work flow and efficiency without being berated and called a prick.

If you have to type in a search field to find your file, and can navigate that mess you’ve posted above, then you will have no problem finding your .bak file in a sub folder. But you will never have to - a check box option can solve that and you don’t have to have a sub folder and continue to have your .cpr next to your .baks and let the rest of us move forward and progress.

Thanks

Sure, that makes sense. So in your case you don’t have to click on the check box to have your back up files organized in a folder and can continue as you prefer.

Yep, no problem at all if it’s an option! I’m guessing the angst from pleasedontbanme comes from feeling frustrated at Steinberg’s finite resources being spent on features which don’t improve his workflow.

Yes, an option in Preferences. (See pic in the origins post)

Maybe - I don’t want to speculate on what his problem is.

For one, its Pro Tools, Logic and Sibelius (soon to be Dorico)

Two, I have paid for every version of Cubase since 5 so I have every right as a decade long customer to ask for changes that promote work flow and efficiency without being berated and called a prick.

If you have to type in a search field to find your file, and can navigate that mess you’ve posted above, then you will have no problem finding your .bak file in a sub folder. But you will never have to - a check box option can solve that and you don’t have to have a sub folder and continue to have your .cpr next to your .baks and let the rest of us move forward and progress.

Thanks

The thing is, I don’t even have to search, the latest .cpr is either at the very top, or the very bottom, it’s not a mess - it’s perfectly organized, a child could figure out what the most recent file is.

I have paid for every version of Cubase since SX3, so I guess I win there to.

Why the f would I want to have to click into another folder to find .baks… and then have to cross examine the date/time stamps awkwardly apart from each other?

This is a reduction in work efficiency. You mean, I have to open, click, another folder to find my .baks?

the .baks have been where they are for over 15 years. There are 15 years worth of Cubase projects, that don’t have the .baks in another subfolder.

How do you handle projects that already have the .baks in the root project directory? If you have the setting on and it’s Global, how does that work?

What if people are colleagues in a studio doing post-production… what if one of them has the setting on, and the person has the setting off? Is the project going to develop a mess of .baks in two places?

What If I want to clean up and delete both old .cprs and old .baks. as it is, I shift click from one point to the other and delete all unnecessary files together. Your way, I would have to do this multiple times.

What about people with a prior version of Cubase, say your feature gets added in 11, and they have 10. Is their Cubase going to know where to look for the .baks? no, it won’t.

bro just practice pressing ‘F3’, then type in search ‘.cpr’. You will get quick at it and then we don’t all have to change just for you.

I don’t get the need for hostility in simple FR thread. Anyway, collaboration is not an issue, if this would be a project setting. A setting set in Cubase preferences, would only affect new projects (a default setting for new projects).

Any new feature that’ll be added to future versions and has data saved inside .cpr file won’t work with older versions of Cubase.

Cross examining the date/time stamps like that is error prone. There isn’t any real guarantee that file with newer date/time stamp actually has most recent project data (someone maybe just had an older .cpr opened for some reason and a new .bak was created). Besides, Cubase already automatically warns you that a newer .bak file exists, no need for manual cross examination.

If you have search set to include subfolders, pressing ‘F3’, then typing ‘*’ in search will list both .cpr and .bak files, even if .bak files are located inside a subfolder.

It does seem like a somewhat redundant feature request if the reason for it is to speed up finding the most current cpr. We can filter by file type from the “open” dialogue in cubase. With “all” selected in the filter I see this:

With “cpr” selected in the filter I see this: only cprs, bak files hidden.

+1.

There is a fine line between helping somebody who is trying to solve a problem when they ask for a new feature, and being dismissive. The latter doesn’t help anybody.

Yes, if you are already in Cubase you can use the Open function. And that helps a lot. But when you are going between orchestra recording sessions in Pro Tools to Cubase and back again you navigate by production company > show title > season > episode/ reel > cue_name.cpr, then you tend to find it easier to open your sessions from the folder hierarchy in Finder. I would honestly love to just be in Cubase all day long but that will never happen (unless Nuendo can take over Hollywood, which is one of my bedtime prayers).

So I suggest the following - and nobody has to have anything change. But if we can have the option in Preferences to sort .bak files in a sub folder, that would help a lot. (see pic)

Thank Y O U

Gotcha, I understand why you would want it now!