Folder tracks with output routing

I actually dislike the way reaper handles folders, automatically making them busses. I use folders to keep things clean visually, that’s about it, and I like that. Maybe I’m too rigid in my thinking, but I like a distinction between folder and busses – I don’t necessarily want to buss together everything I want to put in the same folder.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes so OK, I have to surrender! :laughing:
Something for Cubase 7?
Creating Tracks in general in Cubase isn’t very … user friendly?
Especially after a while when your track count grows.
This includes export/import when the new Track always is created … at the end of the Track List :confused: :unamused:
export/import Tracks should also be created e.g. south of the selected Track and not like the Group Tracks, as in your revealing description. It’s just not good enough.

Implementing this would not turn Cubase upside down, it’s not rocket science (and come to think of it some of the stuff in Cubase IS beyond rocket science :open_mouth: :sunglasses: ! Freaking awesome program) and this new features wouldn’t even be “visible”. But, man, would it speed up and clean up the handling of tracks!!!

Folder Tracks with Output routing = the Future! Especially now with the “Move selected Tracks to new Folder” command showing the way :wink:

so

+1 :sunglasses:

I can see where you’re coming from with this, no doubt!

so …

Keep the old Group Tracks and Folder Tracks and add Routing Folder Tracks?
Best of both worlds.

and

I’d love to have “Route selected Tracks to new Group Track” as well, please! :wink:

Yes, that is true also, actually. It doesn’t take too much time to do this without any child bus associations.

+1 - this is one of the most annoying featuers of Cubase for me! I use lots of Group tracks, and having to scroll all the way down to find each new one and drag it up again to where I was just becomes a real irritation after the 20th time that session…

True. Plus - like everyone knows by now - these should really be coloured (or otherwise look different from the other tracks) with black or something. That little graphical picture within the track really isn’t so good that you could differentiate group tracks from the rest easily and quickly. Also FX Channels tracks could have similarly different emphasizing.

I’m also a huge consumer of Group Tracks; I tend to have, for example, all the rhythm guitars to another group, then all the melody guitar to another group, + all the solo guitar tracks to another + the acoustics to another - and THEN setting the output of ALL those “sub-group tracks” to a MASTER Group Track named “Guitars”. So it’s pretty much of a challenge to organize all the Group Tracks and their “sub-groups” in an intuitive manner. Maybe there could also be “link tracks” on Cubase with a very intuitive emphasizing so that you could make a linked copy (like a shortcut) of, say, a group track to be somewhere else then the Group Tracks folder. All the actual group tracks could then always be in the GT Folder but the linked tracks elsewhere.

(off-topic from now on)
That way you could do like volume automatization separately on rhythm, melody and acoustic guitars BUT you can easily set the OVERALL volume of all the guitars from the “Master Group track”. Having this Master Group track no automation at all since it’s tedious altering the overall master volume curve since one has to always choose all the automation events or use trimming and that is now what I want. I want to be able to set the overall volume straight from the inspector. Like I’ve many times said, Cubase should have a kind of button named “Offset” or only letter “O” beside the each Volume slider or Volume box on the track with which you could easily change the OVERALL volume curve just by enabling the “O” button and setting a new volume.

Well, that’s a whole another subject but had to let it out :slight_smile:

Yeah Tommy that’s very similar to the way I work with groups and sub-groups and sub-groups of them! It’s the only way I can get my head around these mega-layered productions we’re working with now.

…and I love the idea of the Offset volume button! Bit like ‘Trim’ for the whole track, without an external controller.

Oh, we seem to be working similarly then. :] Yes thank GOD for the Folder Tracks + Gruops tracks of course. Otherwise it would be such a mess.

Nice that you like the offset idea. It’s actually not mine since the other old 2MB (!) size DAW Named SAWPro, that I discussed about on my own topic (“…separation between mono/stereo audio tracks…”) had just that feature. The feature is SO USEFUL that I cannot explain it however much I try. This is one thing that I have hated about Steiny DAW’s. Of course the Group tracks “solve” the problem, but you have to have another group track for that so it’s more like a workaround than a solution. Actually, I’ve gotta write another thread on that. Let’s see people bashing me about it :laughing: