Font substitution when printing

I have a score of songs in four flows with some unmeasured sections and some traditional sections with measures.

Printing problem 1: I assigned my standard title font that I have used for years, Antique Olive Bold, to the main title, the subtitles on each song, and headings on each page. It looks fine on screen and looks fine in the exported PDF. When I printed from Dorico, the titles have some generic font with really bad letter spacing.

Then a second problem: when I printed the first page of the PDF, the titles were fine. However, there was weird substitutions in the music characters: 16th note instead of G clef, natural sign instead of 16th note, G clef instead of the X time signature. I don’t understand what’s going on. The music notation was correct in the Dorico-printed page.
Thanks for your help!

I’m using Dorico 2.2.20, Mac OS 10.14.5

Pam, just to clarify: did you print to PDF, or export graphic—>PDF? You should do the latter. The former can create all sorts of random issues with fonts.

This points to a font problem. Is there any possibility that you’re trying to use a font style (bold/italic/regular) that isn’t actually installed on your computer? Dorico’s intelligent enough to mock these up, on screen, but it can’t render these to PDF or necessarily print them properly.

You can clear the font caches by performing a “Safe Boot” (hold down Shift when restarting), and then restart normally. Then check in Font Book that all relevant fonts are enabled and with no duplicates.

Hi,
Dan, I used Export Graphic.
I will try these other remedies. I was surprised because I haven’t seen these kinds of problems in years. But my upgrade to os 10.14 Mojave is recent and may have caused problems.
Thanks!

OS upgrades rarely cause problems. But they frequently reveal them! :laughing:

I did the Safe Boot, and now the font’s characters look correct when I print the PDF. I didn’t find any duplicate fonts, although I’d sure like to know what to delete to shorten the font list!

The title font in question is a very old Postscript font. I think I bought it around 2000. I don’t know whether it conflicts with something else, or if I add the same font from Adobe Fonts whether that helps or hurts. I’ll continue working on the title font problem. I’m glad the PDF prints now as it displays.

To get Dorico to print the right title font, I disabled my Antique Olive Type 1 Postscript font and instead activated Antique Olive from the Adobe Fonts application. I fixed the Master Page to use the new version (it had reverted to Academico). Now Dorico can print the page titles with the correct font.

Perhaps Dorico doesn’t handle Type 1 Postscript fonts correctly? As I explained, it showed correctly onscreen, but some other font (probably Academico) was used during printing.

In general Type 1 PostScript fonts should behave sensibly in Dorico, but several different things could be happening in practice. I wrote about some of the issues here.

Thanks for that info, Daniel.