For Apollo 2nd gen users on W10 only: Are you able to get under 128 buffer size with no clicks/pops in C10.5?

When I use less than 128 buffer size at 48k and 44.1k I am getting clicks and pops in Cubase 10.5 on my new Windows 10 Pro computer, even on very small sessions…I’d to know if others experience that as well or if you’re able to go lower than 128.

Your question asked in the title of your post and what you report are contrary?

If you use less than 128 buffer size (64?) without getting clicks and pops…what’s the issue? Are you asking if other users experience the same no clicks and pops that you do at 64?

Whoops – that would be being human. :wink: Fixed the mistake.

I know there are lots of Apollo 2nd gen users here – would love to hear from you regarding this specific issue.

What sample rate are you running? That needs to be taken into consideration too when asking this question.

Yes, good point, thank you. It’s at both 48k and 44.1k – I just edited the original post.

While i can’t answer from an Apollo users standpoint have you tried running a DPC checker on your Win 10 machine?
https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

I’ve only been using Win 10 myself (Mac migrant!) for audio past 12 months but it seems that certain system drivers/hardware can cause additional latency that prevent low buffer settings from being usable. I guess because the system latency as a whole can rise above the available overhead that the buffer settings are trying to run within perhaps? Not sure on the science of it all but it seems to be a big contention with Win 10 users.

So yeah, may be worth a check up and see what it gives you, and if possible if you can disable a piece of hardware if it shows up as system latent (i.e. lets say it was a wifi adaptor which you never use as you’re wired via LAN connection). Usually it’s GPU’s that can cause the most unwanted system latency however.

skijumptoes, hi. This DPC latency checker doesn’t work in Win10. You have to go with another program - but actually - with the new Win10 64 update, 1909 OS Build 18363.778, even this doesn’t work any longer. So AFAIK there is no external latency checker available for Win10 64.

But all of this aside…

To the OP, certainly the Apollo interface you have allows for direct monitoring at the source, audio not dependent on the DAW latency? Why are you trying to climb up a hill that doesn’t need to be climbed? I run at 512 and Cubase delivers the goods, all recorded tracks are aligned automatically.

This definitely works with Windows 10 …

Sorry Scab, nope. It used to work in Win10 but stopped after the latest update. Are you running the latest Win10 64 update?

I’m on Win 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.778 and DPC Latency Checker V1.4.0 (thesycon.de one) works just fine, i checked it before posting to be sure as i knew some work, and others don’t.

i’ve just opened it again now to check i’m not going mad, and definitely runs:-

Is that because i installed it prior to the 1909 update? Can’t be that though, as it’s a standalone .exe

I’m using Windows 10 Home 1909 18363.815. It worked for me immediately before I posted (the Resplendence one).

Well, you are one update ahead of me it seems. I’ll update and see if something has changed.

Scab Pickins, still the same behavior even after the OS update… The program installs, and as I open it, nothing appears, however there is the program icon on the Task Bar. Weird deal. If I click on the Task Bar icon, this ghosting image appears from the bottom of my #1 monitor and then shoots off to the left, going off the screen. It’s as if it seems to be looking for another monitor that doesn’t exist.

Well, I’ve looked for some explanation but I can’t find one. Any ideas? I did replace my monitor cables about the same time it started doing this but I can’t accept that the program is looking for that old monitor cable, right? Weird.

In fact I just downloaded ‘Why So Slow’ from the same site and it loaded and works without a hitch. Weird deal.

I’m not sure what you have going on, mr.roos. skijumptoes says other things work for him, too, that don’t work for you. Out of respect for the OP, I would rather not contribute to any further derailment of this thread. Perhaps you should start your own topic since this is completely “off”?

It does, but I often need to track through virtual amps and specific insert effects in Cubase, and also singers who sometimes come here often like to sing into Autotune or use effects, etc., that’s far easier to deal with in Cubase than having to go into the UAD Console. If i were an engineer recording bands, etc., it would be easier to do that, but as a composer and producer I often need to run through very specific effects while tracking, which would take a long time (and would often not even be possible to recreate) in the Apollo console.

OK, I understand. FWIW I do all my vocal editing after the performance, and with Cubase you can stack multiple takes, right? Sometimes it’s a slog, but it’s always best to get a good performance. For vocals I find the best mic for the voice that I can, run an external pre into an external comp (or limiter) and then direct monitor that to the vocalist while simultaneously recording it. I don’t know what your budget is like but you should maybe look at some external gear. A good mic and a good pre into a good comp can do wonders. For virtual amps, look at the UA OX Box. I’ve seen used ones go for $750 and this is maybe the best of the best, IMO, amazing tech there.