For those who have taken the x299/i7 or i9 plunge..

Curious to hear your build experiences - positive and hellscape - with the x299 mobos and i7/i9’s. I’ve held on to my sturdy but aging setup for the last five years and it’s time to bid adieu.

Looking at the following build and would any feedback, words of wisdom, or “oh hell no!”'s as far as compatibility issues or difficulties you might have experienced. Mostly a lot of ITB electronic music (EDM, ambient, textural and cinematic/sound design):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - TUF X299 MARK 2 ATX LGA2066 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage: *Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan

Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

VST’s (already own, to be xferred over): Omnisphere 2, Diva, Hive, VSP Avenger, Dune 2, NI Komplete 11, Gravity + Vocalise 1 & 2, Damage, Aeon Collection, Waves Platinum, FabFilter Mixing Bundle, SoundToys 5.x

Outboard gear: Maschine 2, Access Virus TI, Novation Ultranova, Korg M3

I have the same CPU and mobo on my list! Can’t do anything until Feb, unfortunately. 6 years so far on my i7-960, which is still solid as rock.

Was wondering why you picked the TUF X299 Mark 2? My reasons are lots of hi-performance USB and no silly LEDs and no nasty noisy little fan over the system chip. And dual M2s for those heavy orchestral samples. Is there anything else to recommend it? Better sound system, maybe, with a good ASIO driver? Yes I know I ask too much. Hoping to future-proof my computing life for another six years.

Got the same question. Read the multiproc post but am interested in real life experience for i9 - 7820, 7900.
Is the quad channel ddr4 noticable ? Drop outs ?

I too am planning a build similar to this and was looking for any experience with the X299 chipset. I am going a bit further on the motherboard as I want good Thunderbolt support for UAD stuff.

this one comes with the Thunderbolt 3/USB C daughter card. These are not yet supported by UAD but I imagine they will have to get sorted out soon as these chips i7X, i9 are the future for us as far as I can tell. Steve Jobs is 6 feet under and I am not hopeful for a real solution from Apple anytime soon.

Hope to hear more on this!

-Ashley

+1 looking for feedback! About to build an i9 7900x system…or I suppose an i7 7820x if it really is almost as fast.

Did any of your folks go through with a i9 7900x build? Really curious to hear your experiences.

Hi guys i have a good experience with X299 setups special Asus look @ my topic 8-18 Core X299 Das Perfekte Setup - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums
Its in German good luck :+1: