For you MIDI experts

I’m doing a song in 4/4 that has several 2/4 measures. When the 2/4 measures hit, my NI Strumming VSTI gets confused and thinks the first note of the 4/4 measure is really beat 3. I’ve tried starting a new track with a new version of the VSTI at that point, but it still messes up. I’m sure it’s something easy and I will feel really dumb, but I’m at a loss. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Have you tried using a time signature change on a Signature Track?

Yes, I have changed the time signature in the tempo track for the 2/4 measures and then back to 4/4. That is where the VSTI starts going whacky. Thanks, Dan

What sort of sound does your VSTi produce?

Is it a loop? If so, what time signature is the loop itself? If it is a loop, you’ll need to re input the note of your VSTi at every change in time signature, to have it ‘restart’ at the first beat.

It’s is a strumming VSTI - NI Session Guitarist: Strummed Acoustic. I think it’s a NI problem, not a Cubase problem. I found a work around by slicing the track and moving some stems up two beats and rendering them. Then I moved the audio files back up two beats to their normal position. Kind of wonky, but it works until I can get with NI to see if they have a solution. Thank you for your help and interest. I appreciated it. -Dan

did you try in Session Guitarist “playback” the “Start on Key” ?

Strummed Acoustic manual page 13:
2.7 Defining the Downbeat after Signature Changes
Since there is no way for the instrument to recognize signature changes or insertions of half a
bar etc. present in your DAW session, its pattern playback would get out of sync in those cases.
To solve this problem, you can use the global transport offset feature to compensate for a
change of signature or bar length during playback.
► To define a global transport offset in ticks, send MIDI CC#111.
The value you send (ranging from 0 to 127) will be multiplied by 80 ticks and added as an
offset to the host transport. 80 Ticks is the length of a 32th triplet, which is the greatest common
divisor for all note values available in the instrument. Twelve 32th triplets equal a quarter
note. Therefore, to insert half a 4/4th bar (i.e. shift the playback by two quarters, or 2 × 12
32th triplets), you would need to send MIDI CC#111 with value 24 etc. The following table
shows typical values needed for common offsets:
Offset CC#111 value
No offset 0
One quarter 12
Two quarters 24
Three quarters 36
Four quarters (= one 4/4 bar) 48
Five quarters 60
Six quarters 72
Seven quarters 84
Two 4/4 bars (= no offset) 96
Minus one quarter 84