Force Duration Not Working As Expected

I am trying to make the two splash cymbal hits remain half notes, but when I add the 1/4 note snare hit on beat 4 the splash hit revery to 1/2 note + two tied 1/4 notes. I have searched through the forums and tried different combinations of force duration (during not input, after note input, on different notes, etc.), but force duration seems to keep being overriden here for some reason. Does anyone know why? Thanks! My guess was it had something to do with the splash and the snare wanting to share the same stem, but I am not sure how to address that.

I think you need to add that as a new 2nd up-stem voice.

Or one could make the splash cymbal a quarter note with an l.v. slur attached

drumCrash

I don’t seem to be able to create new voices on the drum part? Is it not just [SHIFT + V] to create a new voice? Even in the jump bar I am not seeing the option on the drum part. When inputting notes, I can see the (+) showing, indicating a new voice is being created, but when I go to input the notes it just reverts back to its default voice.

That works in that particular instance, thanks. I actually was not aware of what l.v. slurs were. There is another instance in the music where this won’t work as well. I will attach another photo. I want the snare to remain a whole note so the roll is clearly not on the cymbal crash, but as before the durations are being automatically changed.

Okay, now we’re moving the goal posts a bit, but of course you want a solution to that.
Where are you trying to add the new voice? AFAIK one cannot do that directly on the display staff of a drum kit. One would have to go into the kit itself to add a new voice.

You should go into the percussion kit (edit percussion kit) and change the voice of the cymbals.

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 9.14.00 AM

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 9.14.25 AM

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 9.16.38 AM

I see @Derrek is saying same thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had no idea that was to indicate which voice a part was utilizing! I’ve only been using Dorico for a couple months and I rarely have to enter drums. Had no clue that was there. Thank you so much!