Force duration/ties

Hi there,

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, or haven’t fully grasped how force duration works, but I’m having the following issue:

I would like to have a dotted minim (1/2 note) tied to a quaver (1/8 note) in 4/4 time. The note is tremolo (it’s a timpani part). By default Dorico adds the tremolo to the final quaver. In Engrave mode, I remove the tremolo lines using the ‘single stem tremolo’ option in Properties. However Dorico now turns my dotted minim into a minim tied to a crotchet, even though I applied force duration to the dotted minim when I entered it. It looks messy. How can I get a tremolo dotted minim tied to a non tremolo quaver?

What a pain! I don’t think this is on you, at all.
You can work around it by putting the quaver in a different voice, then selecting both notes, then tieing together.

Thanks again for coming to my rescue pianoleo! This is a bit of a faff, but at least it works! :slight_smile:

I just ran into this very problem and found this thread. Thanks for the nifty work-around, Leo.

Daniel, could this be changed in a future version so that turning off the single-stem tremolo on the last note in the tie chain still respects the forced duration of the dotted half note?

Thanks!