Force Stereo conversion

Hello,

is there any way to force Nuendo to do a stereo conversion of two mono tracks? It drives me nuts, I constantly get long stereo tracks as two mono tracks from the editors and then there is one file on the whole track which does not have matching fades or something like that and I cannot transform them anymore into a stereo file. It does not even tell me which file it has a problem with.

Best wishes,

Max

Same here, almost stopped using the feature because of that.
It should really select/highlight the problematic files.

We had this discussion before, and it seems there are influential people that are against the idea.

I agree with you guys. I think there are several solutions which would be “simple” within context of working with media.

_- Convert all to stereo and where there is a mismatch of fades just force default fade on both L/R (and maybe ‘crop’ if needed).
\

• Convert all to stereo and where there is a side missing ignore it and place on one side only (possibly also leaving a marker at that point, or a note in a text document)
    \
  • Convert all to stereo and where there is a side missing delete the existing one and leave a “space” while also leaving a marker at that point, or a note in a text document._

At the very least any of the above options would allow us to import AAF/OMFs that are really long and leave us with either markers, a log file or obvious instances of audio on one side only, all of which in my opinion are preferable to either leaving us with two panned mono tracks or having to sift through a ton of content to find the error(s).

It’s all well and fine for some to argue that if things aren’t matching we should blame the editors, but in the real world, at least in the US, editors are often a notch above audio guys in the hierarchy, and they will most certainly leverage that position in defending themselves against any extra work (because nobody wants to pay). So, it’s up to us to solve the problem, annoying as it is.

+1

I completly agree with you Lydiot. I didn’t know that this was already a topic, but the idea that it is not a problem because it is someone elses fault is not helping. Even if Nuendo can fix it, you can still point fingers at others afterwards if that is how you run your business. I have deadlines and if I don’t meet them they won’t listen to me that it was someone elses fault. They just go and hire someone else next time.

I think any of your solutions would be a real benefit.

I think we first need a tool that analizes the problem (incorrect fade, time shift, equal files, volume differences, phase issues, length, etc …), otherwise I predict that an awefull amount of “broken & incorrect” stereo files will end up in final projects. A simple “force stereo convertion” is much too dangerous.

Has anyone of you ever received a project from a video editor that was well organized and “correct” in when it comes to audio?

Fredo

I don’t think we do. The simplest solution is to simply warn the user that an error has occurred, not give the user a correct analysis of what the error actually is. Think of it this way:

Option A:

Step 1: Nuendo begins to merge mono tracks into stereo.
Step 2: It notices an error, like the ones you mentioned, and stops.
Step 3: It gives you an on-screen error message that it couldn’t continue, and merge is canceled.

That is the current process - as far as what the software does. Let’s look at what then happens because of this error:
Step 4: You now have to search the tracks to find the error, because you have no idea where it is.
Step 5: You then have to analyze the error to find a solution to the problem.

Now, what I am proposing doesn’t seem all that difficult from the user’s perspective (I’m not talking about coding now).

Option B:Step 1: Nuendo begins to merge mono tracks into stereo.
Step 2: It notices an error, like the ones you mentioned, and writes a note to a log.
Step 3: It continues and resorts to default values when needed (i.e. default fade to both sides, crop when necessary etc)
Step 4: You now don’t have to search the tracks to find the error, because you have the log file (or markers).
Step 5: You then have to analyze the error to find a solution to the problem.

So, your following concern:

has to be put in context with the alternative. If your project contains “an awful amount” of problems, then what’s the easier way to find them and address them? Is it with a log file of where the problems are, just not what they are, or is it without knowing neither?

I’d much rather have a log than nothing, even if all that log says is “01:14:12:28 error”, or " “80’s Disco - Dance Fever - 130 bpm” error"…

The alternative would be for Nuendo to resort to defaults without any log or markers. And at that point you might have a point. It’s just that all of the examples you gave would actually yield an audible result. If I have a track with a phase issue I’ll hear it. If there’s a fade mismatch between L/R I’ll hear it. If the L/R are different files I’ll hear it. If the volume is different I’ll hear it. In each instance just listening to the track I’d notice the problem between L/R. So, again, in terms of actually trouble shooting the error I’d rather have Nuendo give me a log if possible, but if not I’d rather have it do what it can and I’ll just use my ears to correct things. I would have to do it anyway the way things are now.

All we need to make sure we’re not getting further in trouble is;

• An option to do things as we currently do them.
  • An on-screen prompt after conversion saying “Inconsistencies between L/R found !”.
  • An additional log-file or marker track created with said errors listed.

I don’t see what that has to do with anything though.

if the analyse tells me that it is a case of un-equal fades, then I can safely go ahead and force the conversion.
if the analyse tells me that it is a case of un-equal length, then I can safely go ahead and force the conversion.
if the analyse tells me that it is a case of equal files (two identical mono files), then I know I will have to look for the “real stereo file”
if the analyse tells me that ther eis a time shift between the tw files, then I know I can’t force a conversion without fixing the problem.

So the analyse should tell you when it’s safe to force the conversion and when not.
Don’t mind about a log or marker track.
My point is that simply being able to force conversion -without proper warning what the problem is, is a remedy for serious errors.

Just my idea …

Fredo

Absolutely. I don’t think anyone wants Nuendo to simply force conversion and then not warn the user.

I certainly appreciate a warning. I would particularly appreciate a warning that specifically says which files show problems and what the problem might be. But at the end of the day, I would also like to have the option to just actively ignore the warning and go ahead with the conversion. Because at the end of the day, Nuendo to me is a tools that I use and I want it to do what I want and not what it wants.