Forced durations across barlines

For Renaissance and a lot of Baroque music the cross-barline tie did not exist.
I would love to be able to force durations across the barline.
This is particularly relevant when I am using advisary barlines between the staves.
Future feature?

1 Like

You can achieve something like this by inputting those notes in a tuplet (even if the ratio is 1:1) and then using the spans barline property to allow the tuplet to be notated across the barline.

… and here’s an excellent walkthrough of the procedure: https://www.scoringnotes.com/tips/use-doricos-tuplets-barline-feature-proper-mensural-notation/

Dear Coranglais16,
I apologise for not responding sooner. Using the methodology in the article, a keystroke macro is the way forward otherwise the process would be an onerous one. I use Macro Express Pro and will see what I can do. Ah, back to a world without ties…

Hi everybody
It is possible, that this workaround from scoringnotes.com do not work anymore with the last dorico version (4.3.20.1130, Feb 10 2023)? I have done this before but now I can’t force the note duration anymore, so I become this result:
bar spanning note

Thank you for a reply

No, there’s been no change in this regard. I think all you need to do is select the tuplet number and activate the Spans barline property in the Properties panel.