Forcing multirests to join

I’m making orchestral parts for an opera – big project – and finding there are some places where I want multirests to join, but the presence of boxed system text towards the ends of multirests are causing them to split up in the parts when I don’t want them to. Is there a solution for this problem. Screenshots should show what I mean clearly.

I realize I could put the text somewhere where it’s not supposed to go and then move it in engrave mode, but given that there are multiple places in the piece where this happens, and there is an entire orchestra of parts I need to make, and it throws other spacing things off to do this, that then would also need to be sorted, it is not an ideal process.

Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 9.59.10 PM

1 Like

For loops, vamps, and safeties I usually use the Line Tool to bracket the repeated section and then add text to the line. Could that work for you too, at least in some cases?

safety

Items in the middle of bars will split multi-bar rests, as a general rule.

At least a couple of these examples look like they could work fairly well, with minimal moving required, if they are attached to the downbeat at the start of each repeated section?

I have no idea how complicated it would be to implement, but if there were an option to not break a multibar rest for items like these it would be awesome!

@bkshepard I agree.
Thank you for the reply @Lillie_Harris. While this would theoretically work in the first two examples, it wouldn’t in the third. And in the the first one in particular, it means moving the object across pages in the full score, and varying amounts in every single part. It is not an ideal solution and across dozens of orchestral parts increases the risk of error/putting markings like this in the wrong place. Perhaps if it were possible to attach system text to a barline (including a final barline), that would solve it? Not sure how tricky that would be to implement. If doable, I think it would solve some issues which right now require workarounds.

1 Like

There doesn’t appear to be any confusion that would result by putting the looping instructions for the first two examples on the first beat of the repeat. That would not (should not) break the multi-measure rest.

Shift-R Fine Enter will give you a Fine marking that can be attached to a final barline, thus not breaking a multiredt. It has a Custom Text property that can be set to whatever you like, including Attacca.

4 Likes

Thanks @pianoleo! That’s a good idea! I was able to do that with a Fine or a D.S. in all cases, and customize the text. I would prefer the greater text options afforded by normal text (including the ability to create a border) but this does get the job done. Great workaround for now, thanks!!

I second this request - there are situations where some rule cause a multimeasure rest to be broken although it would make a lot of sense to keep it together. It would be great for me as a writer to be able to override some rule based behaviour sometimes.

I seem to remember this coming up on the forum a year or two ago. Someone posted an image of a piece with dozens of tempo changes, which made for a ridiculous set of broken multirests in a part that was tacet for most of the second half of the flow. If I were engraving such a thing by hand — imagine, say, the part is tacet through most of those changes but does play at the very end of the movement — I would leave out most of the tempo-change markings, instead using one long unbroken multirest, and indicate the important change or two right before the cue that precedes the part’s ending passage. I don’t know if that’s how someone working for Breitkopf in 1850 or Universal in 1900 would have done it, though.

The problem is that one can not delete tempos in part layout. Sometimes player don’t need this information. It would be nice if part layout could hide tempo changes and have full tacet and multirests. Parts would be more clearer that way.

I have sometimes saved a backup (just to be safe), deleted the extraneous items in that layout, exported the PDF, then pressed Undo until it’s restored.

I like to live dangerously, but it works.

1 Like

@Deineka Welcome to the Forum!
If a player doesn’t play in one flow you can uncheck it from the flow: full tacet and no tempo

1 Like

I worked for the guy who did many of the important American operas of the 1950-1980s. He would have had a fit of gigantic proportions if the meter and tempo changes etc.in the score and all the parts did not match. And with good reason. The only exception was when an instrument was tacet to the end of an act. What Dorico is doing in the examples is exactly what it should be doing.

5 Likes