Formatted Tempo Markings

Dear Dorico users & staff,

Is it possible to format tempo text? I’m trying to achieve without additional text objects the tempo marking “1er mouvt” where “er” and “t” are superscripts.

Is the only way to accomplish this via creating a text object and placing that where the tempo marking would normally go?

Thanks

Probably best to use system text. A real time-saver here is to use Character styles for superscripts and such, which can be set to change the baseline shift and other formatting.

Related to this:
In first and second endings, is it possible to get “1er fois” and “2e fois” - with “er” and “e” as superscript - instead of the usual 1./2.?

Not directly, no, because the text you can override in the Properties panel for repeat endings can only be a plain, unformatted string.

Thanks Daniel, I thought so.
So the “indirect” way would be to enter the repeat-ending text using Shift-X and then position manually in score and parts? Probably more trouble than it’s worth…

Are you planning to change this in the future?

Sometime ago I was playing around with Libertine Linux, a font which actually has the superscript letters “built-in” and using that as my “repeat endings number”-font. Couldn’t get it to work (= couldn’t find the right input-string), which I put down to my own incompetence…
Has anybody tried this (or any other approach) and made it work, or should I give up?

You should probably use system text (alt-shift-x) to achieve your goal. I have searched the glyphs in my Linux Libertine O (which I use all the time) with fontforge to check whether I could find those built in superscript letters but did not find them.

I was playing around and have achieved this.

Font is Times New Roman (which I don’t like much) 10.5pt, and is has the “real” superscripted characters “e” and “r”. All other fonts that I tried makes the “superscript” higher than the number.

So: Create this in your external text editor, copy and paste into the “custom text” property of repeat endings in Engrave mode.

As one can see, there are different spacing issues after the 1. and 2. The two first "er/e"s are attached directly to the number, the next two to a hard space after it.

It is a first attempt. Would it be acceptable to a discerning native French speaker/writer/singer, Marc?

I’m not a native French speaker, but the horizontal spacing of the typesetting looks an unprofessional mess whatever language you speak, IMO.

If you can’t get the spacing right, just use “1.” and “2.” Every musician will be able to understand that, even if it’s “not correct French.”

You can modify the horizontal positioning pretty easily.

It’s a bit of a pain the first time, but you can always copy-paste into future projects.

I have also seen the usual 1./2. in French editions. But in attempting to get Dorico to do this I was trying to emulate the editorial guidelines for the collected Rameau-edition (OOR), which specifically recommends this format (but they realize it better than me…).

I agree with Rob, the spacing is not correct. It looks too far from the 1 when you add the hard space, and too close from the 2 without space (obviously).
And it is absolutely impossible to write 1er fois in french, because “fois” is a feminine noun. You should write 1re fois (or 1ère) and 2e fois (with superscripts). It’s also possible to find 2ème fois but it’s wrong according to the typographic rules.

Duhh! Of course!
But thanks for your help.