Formatting text in tokens

I’ve come across an instance of a token’s test requiring specific formatting, due to the language of use (in this case, French).

In my dedication token, I require two letters in superscript. There doesn’t seem to be a means of doing this. Might this be something that could be added in future?

In a text frame, you can enter text which is not a token. “Normal” text can then have formatting applied, such as superscript. The token can be deleted from within that text frame.
This will probably affect master pages and page overrides, which might cause a lot of manual editing depending on how often that token is used.

@Michel_Edward this has been requested before, such as in this thread where there are some other suggestions of handling the formatting but still using tokens. I don’t know how possible it would be to implement within a single token though.

You could use ‘ready-made’ superscript letters if the font you’re using supports them. E.g. if you need ‘me’, these exist in superscript as ᵐᵉ (U+1D50 and U+1D49 respectively).

unfortunately, French makes a lot of use of superscript in abbreviations, so chances are slim any font will contain the number of those I require.

I made do with simply inserting a regular text in the box, thankfully, this particular instance was not one that requires repeating that text in multiple places. But it WILL come up at some point in the future, I know it.

Hi Michel. Sorry to jump into this conversation. I’m French and kinda crazy about typography things… Are you sure that French makes a lot use of superscript in abbreviations? Because I’m not, but would be happy to be proven wrong :slight_smile:

yes.
for example the abbreviation for doctor (feminine) would be Dre, with the “re” in superscript.
in a music score, the abbreviation for cello would be Velle, with “elle” all in superscript, and the “ll” part underlined.

Ok. I really don’t think that is the “norme”. I’ll check and find my sources.
Edit: I’ve been reading quite a lot of typographical litterature and must apologize. I think people tend not to use “les lettres supérieures” because they are seldom available in the programs we use. I’m fond of LaTeX, so I can access these, but it seems almost impossible to use them in a WYSIWYG program, alas…
So the “norme” I was referring to has probably changed because of failing technology, which I find quite unfair. I’d be happy to learn about your abbreviations.

I wonder if this is a subtle difference between continental and Canadian French? My dad once remarked on some of the typological differences between them. My grandmother was Quebecois and he was fluent in it.

There have been discussions here regarding British vs American English. Has French now joined the fray! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Chris

1 Like

I wouldn’t say “now”. It’s been an on-going thing.
Québec has worked very hard to create a languistic consistency and make the language spoken here as “French” as possible, without resorting to Anglicisms.

So, like Velle … This is all easily doable in Dorico’s text editor with no need for a special font or special characters. (I just discovered this forum software allows the <sup> html tag!)

In place of underlining, in 19th century French plate engraving I am used to seeing a large dot centered beneath the superscript letters. But I don’t see this past the early 20th century, and it is quite awkward to do on computers, even with Unicode. Also there is a semantic difference between regular text formatted as superscript and the Latin superscript Unicode codepoints ˢᵘᵖ – the latter are for different purposes, which is why they are scattered across multiple codepoint ranges; and they are not present in many text fonts, in which case at best you get a fallback font (as here).

1 Like

It’s not difficult to achieve in the text editor in Dorico, but it is not currently possible to achieve with tokens, which is what @Michel_Edward wants to do. It would be quite a big change to make it possible to use rich text in the fields in e.g. Project Info, but probably a worthwhile one in the long run.

3 Likes

Not directly on topic, but:
Could all the items in Project Info be made to accept multiple lines of text?

I’m regularly setting composer to things like:
Words & Music:
Lennon/McCartney

I know there’s a way to do this, but I’m sure many of us are hijacking fields in Project Info to display information in our master pages. This extra flexibility would make things simpler.

While writing this , I got the dreadful feeling that I might have made this request before. I’ve certainly thought about this, and maybe even started to write something, but I’m not sure if I ever posted it, so:

2nd request: Could the forum add a function that allows us to see a list of our posts?

Just in case you’re not aware, you can type multiple lines into any of the multiple line fields (Copyright or Other Info), then cut and paste them back to any of the single line fields. Actual display on the page is dependent on the text frame being tall enough to display multiple lines of text.

And for a list of your own posts, click your own username then the Activity tab: Profile - DWR-keys - Steinberg Forums

If you then use the search in the top right corner of that page you’ll find a filter for posts made by you. From any page on the forum you can use the general search and append or prepend user:DWR-keys (or e.g. user:dspreadbury if you want posts made by Daniel).

1 Like

Many thanks, Leo
I was aware of the way to copy paste from the two fields that accept multiple lines, but it would still be nice if all the fields could accept multiple lines.

About my posting activity, I’m just a little surprised that it can’t be accessed from my icon at the top-right of the window. As I understand your reply, I’ll at least have to find one post of mine.

But anyway, thanks for this informative response.
I feel I should add an emoji at this point, but I fear I haven’t understood the conventions on this forum, or for that matter anywhere else!

The search field is quite clever and tends automatically to search within the realm of the page you’re viewing, e.g. just within the Dorico category when viewing the Dorico forum, or just within your own posts when you’re viewing your profile.

You can also try the “advanced search” page here.

If this format is frequent. You could edit the Master Page composer text box to

Words & Music:
{@projectComposer@}

Then save that as a template file.

You can get to your posting activity from the top right corner. Click your icon in the top right corner, then the head and shoulders, then Activity.

They most certainly do diverge. And the accent, at least to my ear, is as different between Paris and Quebec City as it is between London and Knoxville, Tennessee.

Thanks, Leo. I missed that.