Forum Character limit

Hello.

I just finished a first pass on all the existing key commands for 11. This time around, unlike when I did the 10.5.20 version, I would like to use Discourse’s nice formatting into tables, and if possible cram the whole thing into a single post, editable by any user that wants to contribute. The problem is that there’s a 32.000 character limit in place, and the whole thing is about 200.000 characters.

My wanting to have all categories and commands into a single post is because I think search would work better. But if it’s not possible at all to bypass the limit by such a margin, I could make it into as many posts as there are categories of commands.

Could try posting as a Word, Excel, or PDF. People can open, search, edit and save and repost.

But would people be bothered to do all that? I can update the .xlsx and the .pdf no problem, but I kind of liked this Discourse look.

I guess I’ll post some here as a “testing ground of sorts” to see how they come out by category.

Commands: Add Track

Command Default Key Function My Rating Link
Add Track… T Opens a window, from which you can add new tracks of all types. The window can remain open if you wish, so that you can keep adding tracks one after another. 10 Add Track Dialog
Arranger Adds an Arranger track, no further input required. 1 Arranger Track
Audio Opens a window, in which the user configures the audio track(s) before creating them. Options are input/output routing, naming, and how many tracks to create. 1 Add Track Dialog – Audio
Audio Mono Adds an audio mono track, without further user input. Naming starts as “Audio 01” and keeps going. 3
Chord Adds a Chord Track, without further user input. 0 Chord Track
Folder Opens a window, in which the user can name the folder before creating it. 1 Add Track Dialog – Folder
FX Channel Opens a window, in which the user configures the effects track(s) before creating them. Options are: effect choice, configuration of inputs/outputs, creating inside a folder or outside a folder, naming, and how many tracks to create. 3 Add Track Dialog – Effect
Group Opens a window, in which the user configures the group track(s) before creating them. Options are: Configuration of inputs/outputs, creating inside a folder or outside a folder, naming, and how many tracks to create. 3 Add Track Dialog – Group Channel
Instrument Opens a window, in which the user configures the instrument track(s) before creating them. Options are: Instrument choice, configuration of output, and how many tracks to create. 1 Add Track Dialog – Instrument
Marker Opens a window, in which the user names the marker track(s) before creating them. Options are: Name, how many tracks to create. 1 Add Track Dialog – Marker
MIDI Opens a window, in which the user names the MIDI track(s) before creating them. Options are: Name, how many tracks to create. 1 Add Track Dialog – MIDI
Ruler Opens a window, in which the user names the Ruler track(s) before creating them. Options are: Name, how many tracks to create. 1 Add Track Dialog – Ruler
Sampler Opens a window, in which the user names the Sampler track(s) before creating them. Options are: Name, how many tracks to create. 1 Add Track Dialog – Sampler
Signature Adds a Signature track, without further user input. 0 Signature Track
Tempo Adds a Tempo track, without further user input. 0 Tempo Track
Transpose Adds a Transpose track, without further user input. 0 Transpose Track
Using Track Preset… Opens a window, in which the user chooses the preset upon which the created will be based. 3 Adding Tracks Using Track Presets
VCA Fader Opens a window, in which the user names the VCA Fader track(s) before creating them. Options: Create inside a folder or outside a folder, name, how many tracks to create. 3 Add Track Dialog – VCA
Video Adds a Video track, without further user input. 0 Video Track

NOTE: Chord, Signature, Tempo, Transpose, and Video Tracks are unique in each project. This means you can only have one of each of them. Thus, they get a 0 rating, as you’d only use the command once per project if you assigned it to a key.

1 Like

This is a chunk. Would it be better visually if each category got its own post? If yes, would the search work the same for all posts, or would they have to be "loaded"first by scrolling the whole thread to the bottom?

I think one post per category sounds good. Should neaten things up a bit. The search should work on the whole page. In fact it will work on the whole site, unless people use the “in topic” selection on the bottom of the search pane or the advanced options by clicking the slider icon in the search box.

1 Like

Perfect!