FR - A few Note Input requests

Yeah, I’ve discovered that one, but it’s more than that. Thanks, though!

FredGUnn, quick question: I see a key command for “Stop Tuplet Input” but the only one for starting a tuplet “;” just opens the popover. Is there a key command that just turns the tuplet button on? I’m not seeing it.

This one takes a bit of hackery. In your user keycommands file, which in Windows is located at C:\Users\yournamehere\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 4, add the following code to the kWriteMode context:

In general, you can create shortcuts to most items in Properties too this way, even if not officially supported.

Sorry, just realized I might have misunderstood what you were asking. If you only want to start tuplet input, but don’t want to use ; you can assign a numpad option to do that too. For a triplet, you don’t actually need to type in the ratio, just hit the shortcut to start tuplet input, then type 3 (from the numpad if you want), and enter. You don’t actually need to type “3:2” into the popover. I personally just like having a one-click triplet option as assigned above.

I’m sure the team would find it useful to know what rhythms and metres you’re using where you find you always need Force Duration. Can you give some examples?

2 Likes

From my personal list of grievances, LOL:

1. There’s no Notation Option to get this without Force Duration, which is a very common rhythm in jazz at least:

2. There should be settings to easily accomplish all 3 of these without Force Duration depending on what the user prefers:

3. There should be more settings to accommodate 1-2-1 structures. As the eye can clearly discern a bar broken up into a 1-2-1 pattern, many house styles allow for a note value of half the bar to be placed 1/4 of the way through the bar, even though that obscures the midpoint. Examples like this are pretty common:
    nestico

4. The rhythm dot setting is too broad to be used without necessitating Force Duration situations. In 4/4 I typically do not use double or triple dots for rhythms greater than the beat, but do use them for rhythms less than a beat. There’s no way to do this without Force Duration:

That’s just off the top of my head, I’m sure I can come up with a couple more situations too.

5 Likes

This one is just wrong too:
cut

There’s a setting to disallow dotted rests, but only at the end of the beat.

Many style guides only allow dotted quarter rests in 3/8, 6/8, etc, and forbid them in 2/2, 4/4, etc, so there needs to be a setting to avoid using Force Duration on the rest here.

6 Likes

Yep, FredGUnn pretty much nailed it. The issue occurs mostly with dotted and tied notes and with longer notes that begin on a weak beat or an offbeat. There are certain cases where it’s perfectly acceptable to use a longer note that Dorico wants to break into shorter tied notes to show the major subdivisions of the bar. I’m not much of a double-dot person either, but those first three examples are ones I run into quite frequently. While I know I can get there with various toggles and key combinations, I would really like to be able to just enter the notes the way I want them without having to go through a sequence of events that take me out of note-entry thinking. And I especially don’t like having to go back and fix what Dorico “fixed” because it thinks I don’t know what I’m doing, I do.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Like you, the VAST majority of my tuplets are triplets, so having a 1-key solution to enter triplets is ideal. I’m planning to experiment with your suggestion of adding to the keycommands file, but haven’t gotten there yet. Then on the much-less-frequent occasion where I need some other form of a tuplet, I can still use the popover.

Notion 6 makes rest entry easy. Q= quarter note; H= half note, etc; simply double clicking a note value (QQ,HH) enters the corresponding rest value. Perhaps Dorico could implement a similar solution to rest entry.

1 Like

The Number Pad thing works great for entering notes in Dorico. One of the things that Finale allows is to have the same number key also enter that value of rest if you’re not pressing a pitch on a MIDI keyboard. It’s really convenient-and fast!

And if one’s grid is set to eighth notes, double hitting the space bar adds a quarter rest as soon as one enters the next note
or
Make sure the voices in the two hands are independently routed so a forte in the left hand affects just the LH.

Typically you don’t need to enter rests in Dorico, you just enter the notes and let the program figure out the rests automatically. That’s even quicker than entering them!

Here’s an gif. For this, I had my left hand on my MIDI keyboard and my right hand never left the numpad with my thumb resting on right arrow next to the numpad. Play the F, hit 6, right arrow, play Bb, hit 5, right arrow x2, play the Eb, hit 6. None of the rests needed to be entered at all in this case.
input

1 Like

That works great until you need to enter a 16th rest. Yes, I know I can change the grid resolution, but my point is I just want to be able to directly input the notes and rests without having to think about which key combination, toggle, etc., do I need to press to make it work. I’ve been doing notation work so long that I literally think in numbers for durations and my brain sees a note duration and a rest duration as the same value/process, one has a pitch and the other doesn’t.

1 Like

Rhythmic duration key + Space = moving the caret by that duration.

e.g. 4 Space will advance the caret by a 16th, and as soon as you type a note Dorico will precede it with a 16th rest.

3 Likes

… and that’s why I have Numpad 0 set to Advance the caret by the current duration, as said earlier. It’s identical in effect to Finale Simple Entry adding a rest.

So to enter a 16th rest, it’s 4 0.

4 Likes

Ah, I get it. That’s certainly closer to what I’d love to see. Thanks!

This much, at least, is worth recalibrating in one’s head in order to get the most out of Dorico and the way it thinks. A note and a rest are not the same sort of thing in Dorico, and there’s a value in not fighting the software on that point.

Yeah, I’m getting there. Something about old dogs comes to mind…

2 Likes

This is really quite handy, but doesn’t work in pitch before duration.
There I press the rest key, and then the duration. Might be even closer to what OP is after, since I am sure the rest button can be mapped via MIDI.