[FR]:Adding Instant Access to Piano Roll in Galley View

It’s the future…!
I’ve done some work where VSTs in Dorico + the talent’s demo vox would be fine for playback on set. There is surely a case that this shouldn’t need to be exported for this.

Team has said this sort of audio recording isn’t happening.

Using the AutoHotkey command Winmove. I use SciTE4AutoHotkey to create and edit.

Yep, Dan. It’s why I’ve just bought Cubase Pro, in the hope that some cute integration will happen.

I will say that play mode is very very much the weak link in the Dorico UI.

… and if that is true, using part the real estate of Write mode for a copy of Play mode isn’t going to improve anything much!

Hello dear colleagues,
Well, the simple feature - Piano Roll in Write > Galley view will be included, sooner or later… Especially when integration between Dorico and Cubase
happen.
As we, the DAW users remember, Steinberg was the last company in the business to add the Lower Zone into Cubase and Nuendo, after many years and thousands requests about it.
For Dorico to be more attractive to the DAW users will be “a must to have” this as option. :slight_smile:
Once again, this improvement won’t make any design, or philosophy changes to Dorico… Actually it will move it few steps closer to the Steinberg’s motto - “Creativity First”, because it will eliminate many wasting time tech procedures (creating Autohotkeys, or opening additional windows of the app and then resizing everything to fit the screen).
Just we, who come from the DAW world, prefer to do Real-Time recordings, instead of using Step Input, or computer keyboard. If you are not a virtuoso piano performer, then surely many notes will be off their proper positions and the score sheet will be a mess. Correcting the note lengths, quantization and humanization is far more easier and faster with the MIDI mock-up, but also we don’t have to loose visual contact with the score sheet, to be sure that everything is alright.

-steve-,
Thank you very much for the reply! :slight_smile: I’ll try to do something.

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

On the contrary, it would improve it immensely - my main complaint about play mode is how it removes me from the music. I read notes, not boxes.

TylerE hello,
You are partly right in your complaint. Yes, it is not very musical to play around with blocks (MIDI mock-up)… this is more tech stuff than creative… But if you work with virtual instruments there are many things that can’t be achieved without the MIDI mock-up

• faster note length editing after real-time recording.
  • realistic and humanized playback of the written music.

I also prefer to write with notes. :slight_smile:

Greetings :slight_smile:

While continued DAW-type improvement is welcome, it is worth noting how far Dorico has come in this area in such a short time. It should also be noted that while I personally do not need much in the way of engraving, a major part of Dorico’s customer base is focused almost exclusively on it, needing litte or nothing from playback.

So for me I say kudos to Daniel and team for how much effort they have expended in this area. Sure, more is great, but Overture was created as primarily a playback notation software. Dorico cannot afford to devote the majority of it’s development resources to playback. It has to balance the two endeavors.

DaddyO hello,
Yes, I’m amazed how far the Team went for such a short time. I’m following the development of Dorico even before it’s first official release. Just I’ve waited until few things that are must to have for me, were included. They came in version 3.0 and I decided to invest some money in Dorico Pro. :slight_smile:
Well, still there are some DAW features which need to be added in order to have better and more realistic playback… Of course they will be needed
when the integration between Cubase and Dorico happen. :slight_smile:
I’ll write some feature request for the missing things with the hope that they will be added! :slight_smile:

Yes, I know that main goal for the Team behind Dorico is to compete the monsters like Sibelius and Finale, and the playback is a bit secondary.
But actually they can achieve both, since they have the support from the teams behind Cubase and Nuendo…
Overture is great example for simplicity, fast workflow, well integrated Expression Maps (actually Don Williams - the Overture developer, was the fist who integrated EMs and he did it the best)… but unfortunately is example for fragile coding, too. If he had an experienced team to work with him, probably for all these 26 years of existence Overture could have been the top app on the market.
Definitely isn’t very easy to move to another app after such comfortable software as Overture… You can achieve a lot without video tutorials, or reading the manual. The GUI navigates you through the process enough well by itself.
I did many successful projects in Overture, but with the latest few updates Don did some changes that made my templates unusable, and the playback of all my previous projects became terrible… I told him and sent him few projects in order to resolve the problem, but he only answered me, after long silence, that he is unable to reproduce the problem and can’t help me. This made me to take the decision to switch to Dorico, and the film scoring features in Dorico, too.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile: