FR: Auto Replace/Re-sample option for clips when opening Montage

Or… “I’ve asked for years but it’s always worth another shot…”

My (cough) ‘workflow’ is

1. Work on song in Cubase
  2. Render WAV
  3. Open WL with existing Montage to tweak songs.
  4. Repeat one billion times until final ‘album’ is complete.

When I open a montage (step #3), WL continues to use the the WAV from the last time WAVELAB was opened not the latest version rendered from Cubase.

This invariably leads to me generating the wrong MP3s when I forget to right click on a clip and Replace Audio with the latest WAV.

I would like an option in WL which, when I open the Montage ‘scans’ each clip and if the timestamp for the WAV is newer, offers to automatically replace with the newer version and optionally re-sample if necessary.

WL does everything but deliver pizza. Surely it could do this. :slight_smile:

In Cubase, if you render to the same file path, and if the same file path is used in WaveLab, there is no reason why WaveLab would use the old file.
The file path should have the same sample rate in the WaveLab montage as the file rendered from Cubase (else WaveLab would recreate a temporary file). And of course, Cubase must render a wav file and not a MP3 files, because in that case again, WaveLab would open a temporary decoded file.

Forgive me, but what you describe (which is what I would prefer) is not what actually happens. Eg.

1. I just rendered a Cubase WAV in 48k. A previous version of this WAV is already used in a WL Montage.

2. I open WL to the Montage. When I play the clip, it plays the -previous- version, -not- the one I just rendered in Step #1.

3. To correct this, I right click on the clip, select Replace Audio, select the same file from the browser, WL warns me that the Sample Rate does not match the Montage. So, I select the WAV, tell WL to re-sample.

4. NOW the Montage clip matches the Cubase WAV from Step #1.

What I want is… when I open the Montage, for WL to auto-magically ‘see’ that the files are different, and -offer- to re-sample/replace so I don’t accidentally forget to do so.

Thanks as always.

Well, you can verify by yourselves: what is the file path of this “previous” version?
And what is the file path of your Cubase WAV in 48k.

Please give concrete file path examples.

This sounds like something similar to what Studio One users like about Studio One.

Since Studio One is a mixing/mastering hybrid DAW, the mastering project page can be automatically updated to have the most recent mix of a song if you update the mix in the mixing area, which would be similar to Cubase I guess.

I personally prefer to manage this manually when it comes to updated mix versions.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, suntower exports a 48kHz WAV from Cubase and imports it into a WaveLab montage with a different sample rate, otherwise it would not make sense for WaveLab to warn of a sample rate mismatch / ask for a resample.
Since WaveLab creates a completely new file when resampling and uses this new file for the montage, it won’t automatically register changes made to the original 48kHz file.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

That sounds correct to me. I guess I always assume that WL creates a ‘work copy’ for clips in the Montage–as Adobe does in its editing software. One can specify where they are stored.

I don’t where they are stored in WL, but I know they exist because, again, if I -don’t- do the ‘Replace Audio’ thing, then re-sample, the old version will be used if I try to render the clip.

Shouldn’t it be possible for WL to compare the timestamp of its ‘work copy’ against the latest version of the WAV it was derived from, and, if there is a difference, automatically offer to replace/re-sample?

Please see my reply to Laturec. Does that help?

Well, just respect the following for it to work according to your expected workflow:

• Do not have WaveLab running together with Cubase if your goal is to export from Cubase a file that is meant to replace a file in use in WaveLab.

• The audio file you export from Cubase should have the same sample rate as the WaveLab Audio Montage.

I understand the word ‘no’. However, a correction: I don’t leave WL open along side Cubase. I -wish- I could do that, but I don’t.

I don’t often have (easy) control over the sample rates. I often am working with ancient material, for example, Cubase CPRs which hold material converted from ADAT machines (hence 48k). The CPRs work -fine- for my needs at 48k.

IMO, WL offers so many arcane options I’m sure that most people -never- use (that’s a compliment). I assume it is because for that small subset of users, such doodads are immensely helpful.

That’s what this is for me. A tiny thing, that would save me time/anxiety.
So if it isn’t technically difficult, I hope you will consider my request.

Best.

There is a misunderstanding: this should already be possible, 100% sure. Read my previous posts about file paths.

The misunderstanding might be linked to this. Knowing where the file is stored in Wavelab may be precisely what you really need to know. In the Export Audio mixdown window of Cubase, if you export to the same path, same name and same resolution, then the updated file will automatically be used in the Wavelab montage. However, this of course would overwrite the previous version of the file (which may not be what you want). To retain a copy of the previous version you could use ‘Clone and Substitute’ in Wavelab before exporting the file in Cubase. If this is what you want then try the following (at your own risk):

1 - in the Wavelab montage select ‘clone and substitute’ for the clip in question (or you may not need this if you are comfortable with overwriting the file)
2 - in the Wavelab montage find out the path for the file of the clip. This is shown in the path column of the Files tool window.
3 - quit Wavelab (if needed, save the montage before quitting)
4 - in Cubase, export to this same path using the same filename and file resolution.
5 - open the Wavelab montage. The montage will now be using the file you just exported in Cubase.

P.S. AFAIK a Wavelab montage would have no way of automatically knowing the names of new files you export from Cubase, but I might be wrong. Rather than all of the above, it might be easier to simply manually use ‘Replace Audio File’ on the clip in Wavelab, after having exported to a different filename in Cubase.

Laturec has it right. If I understand -you- (PG), you want me to conform my Cubase projects to the WL Montage. ie. if I make the sample rate of the CPR match the sample rate of the Wavelab Montage, WL will ‘automatically’ read in the latest version of the clip.

That is exactly what I -don’t- want to do. Converting a Cubase CPR at 48k, with lots of 48k tracks has been -painful- every time I’ve tried it. Something either goes wrong, the position of each Cubase ‘event’ shifts or the downsample sound is not great.

What has always seemed to work ‘best’ for me is to open the Montage in WL and tell WL to resample it to 44.1k and continue to work in Cubase at 48k. That always -sounds- good enough for my needs.

The only downside is that, for whatever reason, when the new source WAV (from Cubase) doesn’t match the WL clip sample rate, I have to -remember- to Replace Audio for each clip, then when WL warns me of the sample rate mismatch, resample each clip before rendering MP3s or WAV in WLs. If the Montage consists of many clips, and I’ve changed several in one day, that can be a lot to remember. (for me. :slight_smile: )

I was hoping that WL could ‘see’ that the Montage clip had a different time stamp and sample rate from the Cubase WAV when one opened the Montage and offer to resample without me having to remember.

As a former software engineer, I guess I’m sounding naggy because it seems to me that this should not be technically difficult. OTOH, maybe I’m the only user on the planet that would use this. But I have -hundreds- of hours of old ADAT tapes that were converted into Cubase at 48k back in the day and for -me- it would be useful.

Best.

Then, why not do the opposite? Using the WaveLab Montage sample rate to 48k, as the Cubase project? If you need to render later with resampling, WaveLab does this quite well.

1 Like