FR: Cue type(s)

I frequently use cues for two different reasons:

Navigation:
To help players with a large chunk of rests find where they’re up to.

Doubling:
For players to double other instruments.

It gets a little annoying when I only want the Doubling cues showing in a score. I have to make sure Cues are enabled in that Layout and then hide any Navigation cues. I do realise I can hide a cue then paste it into another instrument and it will remain hidden.

It would be really handy to have a choice in Layout Options to show only cues that are there for doubling or for both. A method of determining which are which when inputting would be required too, I guess.

6 Likes

If I may. This could be expounded upon by making a Doubling feature with the option to show as a cue. Then lines that are doubled between instruments have only one source, so errors could be quickly fixed across all doublings. Just a thought :wink:

3 Likes

Even better, give us arbitrary reference sections, with some scope for transformations.

Imagine being able to highlight 8 bars, and declare that the music there is “whatever the 1st Violins are doing, transposed down an octave” - and this isn’t a copy and paste, but a true reference or view to the underlying data, so If you changed the violin music, the place where you referenced it would update too.

Note that this would not necessarily correlate with a textual marking, or an altered appearance, but it could, so cues, doubling or otherwise, could be just a few of the cases handled by what I think would be an extremely powerful workflow AND compositional tool. Imagine being able to write out a 4 stave short score, and drive a full orchestration from that “live”, or at least use that to build a skeleton. Certainly a useful extension of this feature would be to have an “unlink” action that would convert the reference to a local independent copy.

If you think about it, all a cue “really” is, functionally, a copy of the music with playback suppressed on all passes and scale set to cue. (Oversimplification, but not by much).

OK. I imagined. Then I remembered Explode.

Nah, you’re not getting it I don’t mean as I one shot deal. I mean more like a sort of reverse condensing - the link the the source material is fully intact, it’s not a mere shortcut for copy and paste like explode.

Do you mean like a Col Vln 1 8va in a Piccolo stave? (Similar to what you might see in an old handwritten film score)? The score would have the instruction but the part would have the notation?

PS
Happy Anniversary @Janus. I’ve learned a lot from your advice here!

1 Like

Nope, neither. I mean, I guess you could if you wanted to - flexibility being sort of the point. But in general the idea is just to be a workflow/concept thing. There are a lot of things that basically come down to “copy the music from another stave, and massage it a bit”. This could be anything from a simple cue, to semantically capturing a massive orchestral tutti that’s playing the same notes across 7 or 8 octaves. The semantics are the point - it’s capturing, in a durable way, the idea of “take the music from here”.

I guess you have something here, as these two use cases need totally different options:

• When using cues for players to help them know when they need to play, I want to omit more or less everything but the notes themselves.

• When using cues for players doubling other instruments, they need every information like dynamics, accents etc. (With the rare exception of playing techniques that would not translate correctly, like “pizzicato” in a double bass that will be cued into a tuba player.)

3 Likes