FR : Dynamic transposition flows

Something that came across my mind today as I was working in Sketch/Affinity Designer for an app I’m developing : as in those softwares you can for instance use color variables that will modify dynamically across all your document any color used as a variable rather than going to each element/layer using this specific color and modifying it manually, it could be awesome to have this applied in Dorico !

For instance when creating a flow we could have a “master” flow and we could as well create a type of flow tagged as transposition flow linked to the master one, that we could set to however many semitones we want it to transpose the master flow.
It would keep its properties/system breaks and all.
I was thinking of that because I’m often creating exercises sheets whether for my students or for myself in all keys so I often have 12-flows projects, 11 being the transposition of the first, and when I make a mistake that I gotta correct or just want to add/remove/change exercises/bars/etc… it’s a pain in the ass to have to do that across all 12 flows, expecially when they’re not single pages but multiple.

There could be a system as well of pitch classes (for instance a toggle in the transposition flows properties panel), like for instance allowing us to still modify freely the octave at which any bar is transposed (specific example I know, but useful when in the transposition there’s only a few notes out of range here and there but all other bars are within the range).

Ok ok I’m most certainly dreaming, but hey who knows, it’s an advanced music notation program hehehe !! :grin:

regards,

Julien

1 Like

Hi Julien, if you have Dorico Pro you can make use of the Clef and Transposition Overrides feature, which allows you to show the same flow/music with different transpositions in different layouts.

If you make those layouts “part” layouts (regardless of how many players are assigned to them), you can propagate the formatting between them, so they have exactly the same casting off.

Additionally, another user @dan_kreider recently shared a way of essentially doing octave transposition locally without using octave lines, using the octave shift for clefs but using invisible clefs.

1 Like

Thanks Lillie !

I’ll try those workarounds in the meantime :slight_smile: