[FR] - Export pre-roll

yes, but what´s wrong with this?
now you can start to bounce on bar “-1” , e.g.

I get an error message telling me that it cannnot process bars if there are frozen tracks in the project.

I’ll have another go tonight when I get home from work.

Hmm, maybe I’m not explaining this very well…

OK, open a project with a kickdrum playing from bar 1, also a bassline and some percussion.
Now freeze the kick drum
Now open the project setup and specify a bar offset of +2
Hit yes to allow it to move everything.

Onscreen, everything LOOKS as though it now starts at bar 3, yes? Great!
OK, skip back to bar 1 and hit play. Oh… wait… I hear a kick drum playing.

That’s because it hasn’t moved the audio in the frozen track - it only LOOKS like it’s moved it. Now everything is out of sync… It moved the unfrozen tracks, but not the frozen ones

Yes. Yes, it does.

I’m not talking about mastering. I’m talking about varying compressors/processors of every sort being on a lot of the tracks, and on the master channel. Many of the ones I use don’t take kindly to being fed audio as soon as I hit play - they need a bit of audio room beforehand to ‘settle down’ before the first bit of audio plays. For instance:
Without the audio room, it can result in the initial ‘tick’ part of the first kick sounding wrong. All the other kicks sound fine after that. If I were to move the whole project to 16 bars and give it a bit of audio room (ie. start exporting at 15 bars), then there is no issue. Basically, exporting with audio playing dead on the 1 bar mark doesn’t give the effects enough time to start working properly.

Does this now make sense to you?

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but why can’t you just unfreeze the tracks, make the change and freeze them again?

I certainly have. Because it will take about an hour or more to do.

This is traditionally what I’ve had to do in the past, but it really does take aaaaaages.

I just wish you could set the left locator at a point between 0 and 1 bars :frowning:. That would make complete sense to do surely? Events wouldn’t be able to go any further left than bar 1, but the left locator could go to 0

Ah! I see and understand - now.
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

BTW: we need “Bounce In Place” in Cubase! (easier to handle, more flexible)

You know, that is something I’ve wanted for a loooong time too. A bit like the Ableton flatten method - you take an instrument track and essentially convert it to audio which can then be chopped up as you see fit. Very flexible and very useful.

Buuut, we digress.

The point of this feature request was to have a method of exporting from bar 1 but also have some space before hand. The one way I can think of doing this which would not require any massive programming changes would be to allow the user to set the left indicator at any point between bar 0 and bar 1. Events and parts should still behave the same as they do now, namely: they cannot move anywhere before bar 1.

So the only change would be to allow the left indicator more freedom: to be allowed to start at bar 0 instead of bar 1.

@Steinberg: might you consider adding this to Cubase? It would allow more flexibility and also be a time-saver for those people who have large projects with a lot of frozen tracks

I have to retract my confirmed 100% working statement re: process bars dialog!!..I tried to see what might be causing your error messages & in a new blank project in C6.50 64bit I now seem to be failing to insert bars with frozen tracks…very odd as on the previous track I was working on (started in 32bit C6 but working in 64 bit) I could do this perfectly.

Do you receive an error message stating that you cannot insert bars because there are frozen tracks in the project?
Or something to that effect anyway…?

No…I couldn’t produce the error message at all…it allows me to run it even in the middle of frozen parts but then makes a complete mess of the arrangement.