FR: global distance between immediate dynamic and text suffix

While I may agree with you, I notice that making the same point over and over does not make it more likely to occur sooner. Remember that the Team has to read this thread each time you restate your case.

1 Like

Do you have any updates on this? It would be great if this could be tweaked as there are other music fonts that don’t work as well as Bravura with the default settings. In some cases, f might even collide with the dynamic markings, especially if the suffix starts with a letter like h, k or l.

I was wondering the same thing.

I recently jumped the gun on the Dorico upgrade sale, and was playing around with all the new music fonts included, and stumbled upon this undesired behaviour only on certain fonts. Bravura and Leland look fine to me, while the others clearly are not generous with the spacing (or perhaps kerning?) between the forte f and the suffix. Here is a comparison, where the problematic cases are marked with an asterisk:

Forte with suffix (problematic as a rule rather than an exception)
Bravura
Screenshot 2024-01-09 221837 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Bravura f

Finale Maestro*
Screenshot 2024-01-09 222747 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Maestro f

Leipzig*
Screenshot 2024-01-09 223035 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Leipzig f

Leland
Screenshot 2024-01-09 223316 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Leland f

Sebastian*
Screenshot 2024-01-09 223441 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Sebastian f

Pianissimo with suffix (no apparent problem)
Bravura
Screenshot 2024-01-09 223646 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Bravura ppp

Finale Maestro
Screenshot 2024-01-09 223840 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Maestro ppp

Leipzig
Screenshot 2024-01-09 224023 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Leipzig ppp

Leland
Screenshot 2024-01-09 224158 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Leland ppp

Sebastian
Screenshot 2024-01-09 224256 Dorico dynamic suffix spacing Sebastian ppp

This indicates that the problem is likely caused by an inconsistency between font metrics. It has obviously been proven to be too much to ask all SMuFL music font creators to adhere to the same standard here, so I believe that exposing this as a set of well thought out options would potentially be a universal life saver and consequently a very welcome update for those who wish give their scores a customized look.

1 Like

You’re right, that in fact the different fonts use different width metrics: here’s FinaleMaestro, where you can see the ‘width’ of the glyph does not include the extremities.

It’s possible that the altered widths are used in some programs to compensate for optical centring of the dynamic.

I’ll modify Sebastian accordingly, which also has a cropped width. Hopefully, that’s not going to affect anything else.

Bravura does seem to display correctly, and has widths covering the entire glyph.

2 Likes

The SMuFL spec says all glyphs shall start at x = 0, and have 0-width side bearings, so no space on the left or right. This is obviously not standard typographical practice, and Dorico compensates for it by contracting the space after an f. It looks like the Finale people did not want to follow the spec when converting Maestro to SMuFL.

The MuseScore font, Leland, crops off the left hand side, and adds a side-bearing to the right!

These are sensible things to do with a glyph of this shape, and IMO the constraint in the spec is working against good typography.