[FR] Implementation of EBU R128 features

Due to the fact that this will be the common basis for media post production, does anybody know if Steinberg plans to implement LU loudness measuring into the next major update?

It would be great to add LUFS, LRA and TPL to the audio statistic-tool (rightclick/audio)!

DOM

We (The betatesters who work in Post) have been bombarding The Powers That Be with requests to implement R128 into the next Nuendo version. They really can’t say that they weren’t aware of this new standard. :smiley:

FWIW, I am a big fan of R128, with a little luck it will be a turning point for the quality of audio.

Fredo

+1 on integrating this.

+1 Great news!

10 bump=bump+1
20 goto 10

ollie

+10000…

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

+1

Big K

This would be a wonderful addition.

Even better would be if R128 would be enforced in every contry, on every continent for all media.

Italy & Holland already are (partly) on “R128”, Germany and Austria start February next year, with full enforcement by the end of 2012. France television also next year along with the US/Canada.

This is the first time that I am optimistic about the future of the quality of our work.
Until now, it just went downhill.

Fredo

I’ve already started delivering based on the US CALM act even though I guess it isn’t technically in effect until 2012. I’m liking it.

…to those of you who are already working with R128:

How did it change your workflow? Are you checking short-term and medium integrated LU all the time during mixing, or do you just work with more dynamic range and do checking/normalisation at the end?
I would be interested in some experiences!

The only thing we have been doing is adapting the fixed listening level.
For cinema we monitor @ 85 or 83 dB, and don’t care about the meters.
We did the same for working in R128. We set our monitor level and just mixed as we thought it sounded right.
When the end result was below or above, we adjusted our monitoring level, until we hit 0 LUFS.
FWIW, it wasn’t too far away from the levels we used to mix to for cinema.
So, in a way, not much has changed …

Fredo

I’ve been mixing by ear and a Dorrough meter for quite some time. I kinda know if my mix is loud or dynamic. Just so happens that the CALM act numbers sit fairly well for me. Though I have to admit my dynamic range has diminished. This is for mostly short duration stuff though, like commercials and infomercials. For programming (lifestyle tv for example) I’m leaving a bit more dynamics, but deliver the same average.

So anyways, I’ve switched from hardware Dorrough’s to plugs and adjusted the meter scale and monitoring a bit. So the way I work nowadays is I do the dialog edit / cleanup, ride levels to sit evenly throughout the material, often slap a compressor on the dialog bus (post-rides), and adjust the output so that it sits at -24dBFS on the Dolby Meter. I’m usually not off by more than a couple of dB’s.

And then for final rides I actually do keep my eye on the meters (Durrough and Dolby) and just adjust when necessary.

So yeah, I do watch meters more than before.

(Talking about R128) Really, you shouldn’t.
Once you have set your monitor levels correct, you can blindly mix by ear.
Even if your mix ends up a few LUFS’s lower or higher than the required -23 LUFS, the only thing you need to do is normalize the complete mix and you are done.
Unless there are parts in your mix you’re not happy with, and you want to re-do those, there really is no need to “remix 'till you get the number right”.

Fredo

And that should be supported by Nuendo. And since the whole movement seems to speed up in that direction I think that Steinberg should move faster than waiting for the next big update…

I was talking about the CALM act. Based on the delivery specs I’ve seen I’m supposed to hit -24 +/- 2dB, on average, over the entire content. If I mix by ear and my dynamic range is too wide and average too low my peaks will be too hot when normalizing. Unless I squash them.

Either way: you mix your way in Belgium and I’ll mix my way in NYC.

Don’t want to make this an argument, but you answered to Domilik saying:

…to those of you who are already working with R128:

And I commented to your answer:

(Talking about R128) > Really, you shouldn’t.

So forgive me if i was confused, and that I didn’t notice that you were talking about something completely difefrent than R128. I was assuming that CALM was somewhat related or similar to R128 and/or the Discovery specs.

Fredo

Hi,

yes, we’re aware of this and are working on an appropriate integration in Nuendo.

Thanks,
Timo

Since Nuendo is Master of Offline Processing it would be great to get a extended audio statistic/normalisation tool, where we could get the R128 values via rightclick and fast processing. At the moment I just know realtime-plugins…?

In my first R128-tests I use this loudness meter: ToneBoosters | Audio Plug-ins | Oops...
It’s working great, it’s just a very small fee to pay, and it has a much better GUI compared to the one of audiocation.

That’s a very interesting approach, I will test it here, would be great if it will fit into workflow so easily…