FR: Line annotation baseline behavior

Hello-- I noticed something interesting today:
Baselines are not uniform on line annotations. That is to say: you will get a different result depending on if the text you type uses extended characters such as g/j/y etc.

These two screenshots are the exact same dimensions at the exact same zoom level and you can clearly see that the baselines are not absolute relative to the line, which I believe they should be. It looks odd to have a different spacing one page to the next. I’d very much appreciate it if this is addressed in a future version.

Yes, this is unfortunately consistent with how Dorico handles fonts. It doesn’t calculate based on baselines, but on extenders. There are several instances where this creates inconsistency, and you’ve found another one. Lyrics are an additional one.

I’m still hoping this behavior can be changed in the future so Dorico calculates from the baseline, rather than from the extender.

1 Like

It would be extra nice if the extenders would get a tiny white outline, so they wouldn’t intersect the line below, but subtly interrupt it.

2 Likes

For the record, here’s how InDesign handles descenders:

There are also some options relating to calculating ascenders vs cap height:

Though I suppose this would be completely different from how Dorico currently handles text frames, not permitting any overlap.

1 Like

I’ve wondered if this is a Qt thing (as are so many of Dorico’s other quirks…). If I had to guess, currently dorico draws an invisible text bounding box that is bottom aligned and then just makes the box taller if there are glyphs with extenders, hence it moves up and doesn’t stay consistent. Just my guess though… But I thought that using true baselines as you’ve shown here was the true standard for how text was handled in programs, which is why I was surprised when I noticed this all of the sudden.