FR: Minimum gap after dot

Something to do with all the accidentals in the previous bar?

I wondered about that, but the 16ths in the 4th beat don’t have any accidentals.

I think some of this has to do with the way Dorico will automatically adjust the positioning to allow notes to tuck around dots or accidentals to optimize horizontal spacing. In the below gif the D will actually move twice from its original position as the chord underneath it is adjusted.

tucking

The dot still ends up being closer to the subsequent note in this example too, highlighting a need for a setting here.

1 Like

My original intention with this score was to beam over rests and use stemlets, but some of this was overridden because the melody was an XML import. (I know now how to avoid that.)

Setting the beams the way I intended seems to me to be more readable, but doesn’t alter the note spacing as far as I can see. (If anything, that last G triad seems to be a little too far to the right)

Altering the rests (and doing that to an implicit rest was a leaning experience in itself!) results in this:

1 Like

This is the expected (and correct) behaviour for note spacing. The 16th note “portion” of the dotted eighth rest doesn’t occupy as much space as a 16th note or rest at the same position, because overall a dotted eighth doesn’t take up exactly as much space as separate eighth and 16th rests (or indeed notes).

1 Like