FR: re: verse numbers

I would love it if there was built in support for having multiple lines of lyrics aligned on opposite sides of a bar. In my case, I have verses 1 & 2 prior to the repeat, and verses 3, 4, & 5, after the repeat. If I use the native verse numbers 345 will be skewed way down since Dorico cannot yet align verses 1 & 2 on the opposite sides of the repeat mark. The layout is tight and does not permit me to have a system break at the repeat, hence the request. For the time being I know I can edit this in a PDF editor, but it would be nice if we could still select a line of lyrics and assign a verse number override, or another native function.

I’ve not tried it, so perhaps it isn’t possible, but can you not nudge lyric lines 3, 4 and 5 upwards so that they occupy the same vertical space as lines 1 and 2 for that system? It seems like it should work.

Indeed you can; different lyric lines can sit right on top of one another.

I get that, but the problem is that it’s a real pickle to make sure baselines exactly align and it completely messes up the spacing algorithms for the affected page(s). So in that respect, I think it’s actually easier to change the 1.2.3. in a PDF editor.

I have another verse number request: custom verse numbers.
Twice this advent we’ve had a situation where we sing a hymn with its original latin text first, followed by a translation of the text, before flowing on to the other verses in english. It would be lovely to be able to 1a. 1b. automatically, to indicate to people that one is a translation of the other. In this case, Veni Emmanuel †1

If a little box were provided to add prefix/suffix text, this could also be useful for editions which present psalm verses for specific occasions: Advent I, Advent II, … “For Weddings” “For Funerals” etc.

EDIT: come to think of it, this would be great for the refrain as well: 1, 2-5.

†1 (which I’ve witheld until Advent IV, rather than programmed as the very first hymn on Advent I, lol).

What I would love to see is a property in the bottom panel that allows you to set whatever lyric line label you want to replace the default one. That would solve several feature requests that have popped up over the past couple years in this regard.

3 Likes

agreed.

I have yet another verse number request.

Sadly, due to updating my computer, my favorite font has been shelved as a “legacy” font and I cannot get all my programs to properly recognize it—AP, for instance, won’t even properly open old documents that use it (even though it is supposed to. sigh.) I don’t have an eye-watering $250 to buy the whole font family right now, so that has necessitated a change of fonts.

I’ve landed on TenOldStyle, but the problem is that the numbers do not have an even character width. This poses problems for verse numbering, and I’ve tried setting the lyric number paragraph style to be center aligned, and right aligned, but to no avail. This just looks terrible and isn’t going to pass for acceptable.

Therefore, in addition to what we’ve discussed previously in this thread, my current requests are two:
1.) I would like to be able to change the alignment of verse numbers. This currently appears to be hard-coded.
2.) I would find it helpful to be able to click on individual verse numbers and nudge them in engrave mode.
Thanks

Rereading this thread, it looks like it would be quite useful to have the option of left, center or right alignment for verse numbers.

(If Ten OldStyle does have a “proportional numbers” OpenType option, I imagine Qt cannot make use of it.)

1 Like

I’ve run into this again but in a different context: namely, going from 9 to 10+ verses means a single character followed by two. I couldn’t remember if there had been any development on this front, since this thread is a year old, but when I tested it, the indentation controls for the lyric verse number paragraph style seemed to have no effect, but this definitely looks clunky:

I had to take it into AP to fix:
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 2.23.20 PM

2 Likes