FR: Vertical Snap Automation Precision

original from past FR. Forum:
here: Steinberg Forums

While there might be some more things to do to make automation better, vertical snap is what stresses me most, because vertical area in automation is usualy very small and with drastic changes for eye snap.
I would say automation is very much like a design tool, so maybe should be a good idea :

• to have “Guides” to snap per automation
    example: i select an Automation Point and mark it has a Guide Point (color / symbol changes/ *), after this point height would be a possible snap as soon has i press a key modifier.

example2: i mark 10 “Guides” point on the volume with different heights i would have 10 “Guides” which i could snap as soon has i press a key modifier.

• or while dragging a point when it reaches a similar value on the neighbours to have a visual reference which i could snap after pressing a key modifier

• while moving / duplicating a point and pressing a key modifier , the height of the copied/moved point is not changable (fixed )

• like having Read Write on Automation there could be a “Auto Snap” to Guide Points
    example: i select LFO knob on a synth and say i created 3 Guide Points with different heights ( 1 bar, 1/2 bar, 1 bar doted) the Output would be forced to be in this values and so recording/Output would be automatically snaped to this values (useful for Quick Controls either).

• like having Read Write on Automation there could be a “Set Range” to Guide Points (min and max values).
    example: i select LFO knob on a synth and say i created 3 Guide Points with different heights, the min and max value of this automation track would be used has range, which would force the Output to flow between this 2 values. (useful for Quick Controls either).

• select a point and have an option to select all events with same value

hope you get the idea, simple to implement and useful for many of us.

After some searching i found that sonar has a interesting and related approach:

A. Snap target (previous two flat line segments)
B. Snap target (previous node)
C. Node that is being moved

but i think it would be better to be able to make some nodes has “snap point” (becoming an * instead of the “dot”) and so dragging another node vertically after some key modifier the DAW would fix his y value to the existing “snap points”. This implementation plus an option to “select all nodes with same selected node value” would add huge precision and gymnastics on the Y axis IMO.

Your Welcome Steinny

this can be quicker to develop then bezier curves! less changes and based on what cubase already is! I like cubase automation except the lack of this and reduction 0% does not make what it says ! cubase likes it square : ) other then that automation in cubase is very nice!