Freeze all selected tracks?

They already have implemented some things from Studio One like the automation transformer (shaper?) and some other things. Everybody copies everybody. Par for the course.

On topic,

Cubase having an editable freeze would not be like S1’s because the architectures are different. Cubase uses a “virtual” kind of system for freeze, a system that ties into it playing audio files in the background. S1’s Transform is technically just bouncing the instrument to an audio file on the timeline, removing the instrument track, and replacing it with an audio track containing a combo clip that carries both midi and audio. It’s a completely different approach. That’s why it’s called “Transform” and not “Freeze” because it literally “transforms” the track class… with instrument tracks anyway.

So Cubase doing editable freeze would have to work within it’s current freeze architecture, not do what S1 does, unless they just plan to just abandon that freeze architecture, which i doubt. They’d kinda have to do it the Cubase way, not the S1 way.

Yeah, it’s a beast of a feature. Studio One’s attempt, wonderfully ambitious as it is, ended up making it useless for me (unfreeze crashes and the negation of “shared copies”). Which is why I’m back to Cubase.

I think it’s not so much Steinberg has tried and failed, as they have too many other, structural, features related to Tracks that needed to be sussed out. I.e., the new multi-outs in 7.5 (a very welcome feature).

They’re getting there. I’m not a betting man, but here’s my wild guess at a roadmap:

v8.0: Bounce-in-place arrives. It probably doesn’t handle tracks with multi-outs, at this point.

v8.x (Pre 8.5): Bounce-in-place supports multi-outs.

v8.5: More “Print from bus” workflows appear. 8 insert limit finally removed. :laughing: (hey, this is my fantasy roadmap, I can put in it what I choose.)

v9.0: We might see multi-select freeze / unfreeze (a.k.a. “batch” freeze) finally at this point. It would probably work with multi-out, too, since that code would have been nicely refactored from bounce-in-place.

v9.5: The rearrangement of frozen tracks, but it’s not reversible. Basically, a multi-select bounce-in-place. Everyone rejoices, those who don’t care about reversing back to MIDI, claim victory. Steinberg takes a small rest…

v10: Tons of other features not related to frozen tracks. All the stuff the marketing dept. wanted that was put on hold. :laughing: (full multi-touch and high-density display features added at this point. :smiley: )

v10.5: Steinberg doubles-down on other marketing-y features, goes after FL Studio and Ableton. Those wanting full frozen track reversibility are getting more vocal in the forums. :smiley:

v11: Massive launch with full rearrangement of frozen tracks, full reversibility of frozen tracks with no loss of fidelity (i.e., aliased/shared midi regions, or multi-out assignments, insert settings, etc.)

At this point all other users on other DAWs switch to Cubase. Steinberg re-hires the Studio One team and announces plans for “Cubase One,” a new initiative aimed at touch-platforms and integrating Studio One’s MIDI controller assignment workflow.

wakes up from dream – gets back to making actual music with already amazing tools

:laughing: ^^^ Brilliant! ^^^ :laughing:

Yeah, the new additions esp. track versions are awesome!

I just wish we could get this solved. I’m currently doing a TV show that has around 35 separate cues per episode. At sometimes 15-20 VSTi’s per session, that ends up being a couple hours of just freezing tracks to take to the session.

I confirm the “shared copies” issue but I definitely do NOT confirm the crashes. Never had a single crash (not a single one…) with S1 in many months, using the same 3rd party stuff which makes my C7.0.6 crash quite often.

Anyway I really don’t understand why SB is still delaying the introduction one of most wanted feature ever. Do they listen to us?

S1 was 100% crash-free until I hit a certain memory threshold. It was quite a large project that unfortunatly was kinda my “template,” so I didn’t want to trim it down.

I suspect that unless you have a massive amount of plugins loaded, you’ll not run into the issue. In all other respects, Studio One was very stable.

I’ve got an ongoing dialog with Presonus on it and I actually owe them feedback regarding the latest version, which I have not had time to test yet. It may have been fixed.

Likewise for me, Cubase used to crash like crazy back with 6.5, which is why I switched to S1 back then. But now, since 7.04+, Cubase has been rock solid for me.

Yeah, the freezing thing really affects me, too. I push the machine to the limit with bus effects and it forces me to freeze all but a couple tracks. So, I’m constantly freezing and unfreezing.

This is the kind of task computers are supposed to automate. :slight_smile:

Big problem for me w/ freezing:
My UAD plugins look active when unfreezed, but they are in fact, NOT.
…they only look like they are activated again!
Be aware!
…don’t unfreeze your tracks w/ UADs.

Some kind of automatic freezing would be nice, running in background at low resources. It would make sense to make files out of most realtime processing automatically. This would help with mixdown too, both in speed and reliability. Instead of “freeze” button, we could have “realtime” button then, which we would enable only for those tracks thet need realtime processing.

Yeah, something along these lines would be great. Imagine if it were scalable like Cinema 4d where a render farm could be built out of spare PCs. The would solve the current problem of having networked computers needing full copies and licenses of all the plugins and all the fussy connectivity issues and “patchbay” plugins. It would just be farming raw CPU cycles.

Think of a modest rack of computers offloading dozens of tracks faster than real-time. :astonished:

Video and 3d get this kind of first-class citizenship, it’s time audio did, too.

I have nothing against Studio One, but their marketing department needs to be fired… Studio One | PreSonus

Who makes music while standing/sitting like that!?!

Definitely DO NOT want automatic freezing. this would be a nightmare. Esp with certain VSTi’s (ie: VEPro). But the ability to select a bunch of VSTi’s and then hit one button to freeze them all at the same time would be a Godsend.

Hahaha the first dude looks like a knock off Kanye! Thanks

Lol. Genius.

It does get some points for at least showing a laptop and not the obligatory tablet-as-mobile.

7 Years later, I find myself returning to this thread once again and it’s still not been implemented. Who knows, maybe before I die I will see Batch Freeze.

Haha,
I’ve brought this up in so many threads over the years. It boggles my mind we still don’t have this. Even Pro Tools who is late to the party for most features implemented this (and well I might add) years ago.

i thought i would be smart and make a makro for it but alas, freeze isn’t one of the options available…