Freeze during rapid note input

I’m getting the rainbow wheel of death frequently in situations where I am inputting long strings of repeated notes. I have tried waiting for the program to catch up for as much as 15 minutes, but the only thing that helps is force-quitting and restarting. BTW, I don’t have the sound turned on, because that slows input radically. Somehow Dorico is choking. Is this something that the upcoming release will solve?

Respectfully,
Bill Conable

How large are the projects in which you’re working? How are you disabling sound? How are you inputting the notes: are you using alphabetic input, step-time input from a MIDI keyboard, copy and paste?

When Dorico hangs, you can go to Activity Monitor, find the Dorico process, right-click and choose to Sample the process. You should then zip up and attach the hang log here so that we can take a look and see what might be causing it.

Project fairly large: 7.2 MB, full orchestra, 2 movements. Disabling sound just by muting from the computer. Step time input from MIDI keyboard.

Thanks for help.

A little later: following a hint from your reply, I disabled sound via the preferences, and entered a whole slew of repeated notes from the MIDI keyboard with no freezing. So it looks like I was overloading the sound processing capacity of the program on my computer (iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3).
Sample of Dorico.txt.zip (17.1 KB)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Freezing during input

Dear Daniel et al.,
The problem was much simpler and more embarrassing than one would wish.
The preferences was set to a 5 minute backup cycle…
I have increased that substantially and, voila! sorted.
Maybe others have had a similar loss of reason and would benefit from this solution…
Thank you, nevertheless to those who had put their minds to the problem.

1 Like