Freezing score instrument names as in excel columns?

I apologize if I missed a how-to . Is it possible to freeze the instrument name list on a score the way one freezes a column in excel? In a very large ensemble, it is helpful to know the instrument playing each line as one moves the score right and left.

Switch to galley view?

Yes! Gallery view with its little name labels for each instrument is the way to go. Thank you, kindly.

A multi-staff score in galley view at 100% zoom level (default?) shows instrument names in pale grey and very small font size:
They can be very hard to see, especially when you have to go back and forth repeatedly between staves that have some distance from each other - for example, transferring parts from sketching staves to instruments that are in the middle of the system.
I think I asked about this before but haven’t found very many options. Using Instrument Filters (and especially Custom Layouts) can be very helpful as a workaround. But Instrument Filters on multi-staff score are slow to load, they are not saved with the template and have to be recreated every time. Custom Layouts are better, but they are not flexible for momentary “in and out” tasks.
My monitor is extra-wide non-4K model and although that screen ratio seems like a match made in heaven for Galley View, the tiny instrument names make it especially easy to get lost. For now, I use a combination of Custom Layouts and rather violent zooming in and out. It works, but I agree it would be nice if the instrument names were more visible relative to the zoom factor or even frozen in style of an Excel column.

So change it. Library > Paragraph Styles > Galley View Margin Labels.

1 Like

Trying it now. Thank you so much!

@pianoleo thanks again for this.
It’s better now and I’m going to experiment with sizes and styles:
For some reason I cannot make the font color black. 100% black in Foreground color
is shown correctly in the editor dialog but not in the Galley View where it is the same shade of grey as before. Would you know how to solve? Thanks
EDIT
After some initial experimentation, it seems that using a blocky non-serif font (Cascadia SemiBold at 14 in this example) can improve visibility while still maintaining neat appearance. I’ll keep experimenting.
Haven’t found a way to darken font color slightly to add contrast, but this is already a major improvement for me. Hopefully it works for the OP too. Leo - thank you!

1 Like