Freezing tempo map/elastique?

I love the ability to now modify the tempo track and have the audio follow. Draw in ritards, etc. Great. Sounds good finally with elastique, too.

But, is there are way to sort of “freeze” those tracks at that tempo without having to export audio mixdown on each track?

Or lets say it’s cruising at 94bpm. Then I want to ritard it to jump to 88 and then ramp back to 94 over the course of a measure or two–can I do that with offline timestretch easily? I see how I can select that section and pull it all down to 88, but the ramp up? I’ve always done this in a really high maintenance way–change one beat to 88…next to 89…next to 91…next to 92.5…then leave the rest after at 94.

Anyway–so, now we have this wonderful way to quickly audition and tune in a tempo map for audio…but, since anything recorded after that doesn’t really apply (since it is linear to the uneven tempo)…it only makes sense to be able to “Freeze” the audio, tempo mapped as is so I don’t have to keep bumping my buffers for 24 tracks of Eleastique to run in real time…you know?

Ideas?

It’s a tired argument freeze vs export but probably one that needs to be had as this would not be the only area lacking in the program.

Can you use the pencil tool to draw in a ramp (in the tempo window)?

When you say you don’t want to “Export Audio Mixdown”, what is it that you wish to avoid?.. having to do so individually for each track (because you can batch export now), or the fact of having to use the Export window at all? If you wish to save on CPU by switching off Musical Mode, you are going to have to re-print the audio files somehow :wink:.
What I have just tried here (and very quickly, and just on a single audio track…so it may not be completely thought through :wink: ) was take an audio clip that played at 100 BPM… switched on Musical Mode, edited the Tempo map, to jump down to 90 BPM at, say bar 9, then ramp back up to 100 BPM two bars later…
I then split the audio, at bar 8 and at bar 13 (to avoid having to reprocess the entire audio clip), selected that short clip and did “Bounce Selection”. The resulting audio file was now not in Musical Mode, but was still completely in sync with the tempo map.

I think the Op is looking for a more “elegant” solution than having to export, ie go outside of windows then back in, which is fair considering that even now Cubase Artist has no choice other than stereo mix.

Then I am misunderstanding completely, because “Bounce Selection” is just a menu function… you don’t even leave the project window. :confused:

I believe the OP is looking for a generic method to freeze their audio and understandably so as to use any frozen audio other than “inline”, the user must go outside of Cubase.

Exporting audio does not change the situation other than presenting a unified dialog however the audio can be added to the pool.

Sorry, this is going to go round and round in circles, until my brain eventually kickstarts! :blush: :slight_smile:
The file that is created from “Bounce Selection” is a completely new file, completely independent of “Musical Mode”, and plays “outside of Cubase” exactly the way it was heard inside Cubase (in Musical Mode) before bouncing. All I did here was select the audio clip then “Bounce Selection” (could just as easily have selected clips on multiple tracks). Is that not what the OP was asking for?

I think what the OP in essence is saying is, they would like to be able to render a file that is resultant from the tempo changes they have made without having to export it, ie freeze since the audio is being calculated “on the fly”.

:smiley: That is exactly what I described. (it all depends on what you mean by “Export”).
By doing what I described (and never leaving the Project window), we obtain an audio file (per track) which plays in sync with the original Tempo Track, but does not require “Musical Mode” (if necessary, can then even reset the Tempo track to default 120 BPM), therefore freeing the CPU from calculating the realtime tempo changes.
Probably better to leave it there for now, until the OP responds (we have totally hijacked his topic! :smiley: )

But there’s no way around the fact that new audio files have to be created somehow.

Yes but the problem is the exported file does not magically have a track made for it and assignments done etc, all you can do is import the audio to the pool, which is a tardy method because it does not automatically place the audio in the audio folder, unless I have missed something here.

About the Op’s hijacked thread…

I’d not worry too much since some smart cookie @ steinberg has made the links open in the same window so they can happily make a new post and reference our discussion.

Cheers

No. Simply choose “Yes”, when the Bounce Selection dialog asks “Replace Events”. (and even if you choose “no”, the bounced file does indeed go into the Pool)

If I was the OP I’d just get a new computer.

To the OP: Try Vics original suggestion to “Bounce selection” on all your audio files from the project window & you are done. :wink:
This is exactly what you requested.

Read the rest of the thread at your peril :smiley:

I will try bounce selection. Audio mixdown includes all channel/insert/eq settings…so, they would need to be set back to unity prior to the batch “audio mixdown”.

Bounce selection exempts that. I will try.

Bounce selection worked fine, BTW. 10sec later–all was straight linear time based tracks. Wanted to thank those withthat answer…and put this in for the record as working well.

Bounce works. But freeze would still be more elegant as, when un-freezing, your audio project folder would not be scattered with unwanted bounce files.

Also, I hit a problem when bouncing and Elastique changed the tempo and pitch! Really weird bug that I discovered as part of this problem:

Anyways - I agree with Brains. It would be elegant to have inline freezing EVERYWHERE.

B

My view is a “ubiquitous” freeze function with managed audio in an enhanced pool (not mediabay) would really take this program well into the future, as at its’ most basic level it uses VST, so does it not make sense to be able to render “as you go” and work with those files as if you had recorded them the old fashioned way without going through the arduous process of grouping and then recording back to an audio track, lest try and find frozen files or others’ only referenced by the so-called “pool”?

The CPU saving aspect is nearly almost irrelevant nowadays but the idea itself (pioneered likely by steinberg) could be further developed into a fully-fledged operational function (not just a half-baked feature) that not only works for single stereo tracks and VST Rack-based instruments, but also instances of a timbre and of course the offline history in the case of this thread.

Of course then there is the problem of automatically bypassing inserts and deactivating sends but I believe that this can all be sorted out by a keen, able and agile developer who would probably earn the praise of a whole generation of users, present and future alike.

In any case it was not so long ago there was no such thing as Batch Export, and now multi-track drum editing is finally here so who knows what will come next.

Good luck Steinberg!