French ties not under slurs

French music (and some Russian) tends to not extend slurs to the end of two tied notes, but rather stop at the first tied note. Because Dorico for iPad treats two tied notes as a single rhythmic unit, slurs are drawn to the end of the second tied note instead of stopping at the first one. Is there a work-around for this? Pressing Shift-Option-left arrow to shorten the slur doesn’t seem to work.

There is a property you can change for this and, providing you have Dorico pro on a desktop, you can change the Engraving options for slurs to start and end exactly where you want in a tie xhain (beginning /end). As a French professional singer, my experience is that this is certainly not consistent in French music, it can change in a single piece of music… Legibility is the key here.

1 Like

A general comment: I find {always enclosing tied values under a slur} is a 20th-century convention rather than a geographical one. From the early days of slurs (Baroque period) composers and editors routinely wrote slurs and ties end-to-end … even as late as Brahms and Mahler.

1 Like

Marc, would you happen to know where the property I can change for this is on iPad? I’m not finding it in the manual. I don’t have Dorico Pro because the iPad version is $40 per year and Dorico Pro is $580. I’m afraid Steinberg has put end-to-end ties and slur (apparently not only necessary for French music but much other pre-20th-century music) behind a $540 paywall.

There are two properties, Start pos. in tie chain and (more relevantly for your case) End pos. in tie chain, which you’ll find in the Slurs group in the Properties panel. The Properties panel is found in the lower zone, and it’s the first of the six buttons for choosing between the panels in the lower zone. Make sure you have the slur selected in order to see properties pertaining to slurs.

1 Like

Thank you so much, Daniel!