Frequent audio dropouts in Cubase Artist 11

I recently purchased Cubase Artist 11 and have been getting frequent audio dropouts while recording guitar. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen, and Neural DSP plugins. I can’t get through 10 seconds of recording without facing this issue. Is there any fix?

Make certain you’re using the audio interface’s ASIO drivers. If the audio drops continue, try increasing the buffer size.

Cubase Manual for setting up the audio driver

An in-depth (lengthy) explanation on latency and buffer sizes (Sound on Sound site)

Hi,

Try to increase your Audio Device Buffer Size.

If you are on Windows, try to test your system by using LatencyMon utility, please.

I increased the buffer size but such audio drops still continue to happen. Is there any way to fix it?

Increasing the buffer size did not work. Is there any other way?

You might want to check the following page on Neural DSP’s site on possible causes: Known Issues

Take a look at the linked optimization guide for your operating system at the end of Bad Performance section there as well.

Hi,

Do you use any dynamic plug-in, like compressor or limiter?

I do not

Could it be a problem of the gear that I am using?

Hi,

In theory, yes. As I mentioned already… Could you test your system by using LatencyMon utility, please?

How do I use LatencyMon?

See: How do I use LatencyMon - Google Search

Do I have to download it onto my PC?

Hi,

Yes.

Is it the free home edition?

Hi,

Yes, it’s for free.

Try with another DAW to check if it is Cubase’s fault (in my case it was…). Most DAWs have a free version that you can play with.

I tried it out with Studio One and it worked. There were no dropouts.

I had the same problem with Cubase 10.5. I have a Focuscrite Scarlett Gen3.
I switched to Studio One when I bought a Faderport. Honestly, I don’t think it is our job to debug those problems.

Cubase is pretty expensive and I’m really hoping it’ll work because the free Studio One DAW does not support VST’s.