Frequent Crashes, not sure what is happening

Hello all, I seem to have a specific issue where Cubase 10.0.20 will crash to the desktop randomly. I had the same issue with Cubase 8.5 Pro and hoped that upgrading to 10 would fix my issue but no luck. Just to give you an idea of whats happening, it doesn’t matter what I am doing in Cubase, for example whether i’m editing a part or using a plugin it will suddenly crash to the desktop and produce an error report. As far as I can tell the error reports don’t hint at any specific process or plugin, but then again I barely understand them so I’ve attached them to this post in hopes that someone more knowledgable could help.

So far i’ve tried booting in safe mode, I’ve deleted my preferences a couple of times now and started fresh. I’ve done reinstalls of Cubase as well. This has been happening to me since like Cubase 7. As far as I can tell, I don’t see a pattern to the crashes, they can happen before I even have a project open for example, like in the New Project section of the program which is bizarre, or if I add a new audio channel. There is literally no pattern or logic behind it. This seems to tell me that its not the cause of 3rd party plugins, but I could be wrong. The crashes can happen 10min to 2 hours apart.

I’m using a late-2014 iMac with OS X El Capitan. I’m running an i7 with 16gb ram. Before you tell me to update to macos Mojave, I already tried that with Cubase 8.5 and it made my crashes more frequent so I had to roll back to the previous OS. I have since upgraded to Cubase 10 but the crashes still happen with the same frequency as they did when I was using 8.5, maybe a little more, I can’t really tell anymore. I’m still a bit annoyed by my previous attempt to update to Mojave.

I’ve attached more info including some crash reports.

Any help you could provide would be so great! I just want to be able to work on music again :smiley:
Cubase 10_2019-05-14-231724_Ramsey-Kharroubis-MacBook-Pro-2.crash (166 KB)
Cubase 10_2019-05-12-141934_Ramsey-Kharroubis-MacBook-Pro-2.crash (134 KB)
Cubase 10_2019-05-12-025307_Ramsey-Kharroubis-MacBook-Pro-2.crash (164 KB)

1 Like

I submitted a support ticket weeks ago for repeated serious error crashes. I hope someone here has some suggestions. Steinberg haven’t responded.

1 Like

Interesting to see someone else with a similar issue with 10.0.20, on a Mac.
I too experience crashing to desktop randomly. No error, but I’m on Windows 10.

I needed to open a project to submit an urgent soundtrack revision, so I installed Cubase 8

Cubase Elements 10.0.20
PC
Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 build 18362.116

1 Like

Same here -Windows 10, Cubase 10.0.20, randomly the program just shuts off - doesn’t freeze - no message, just shuts off. I’ve noticed that if I touch nothing and just let my recording play it doesn’t shut off. It always seems to be when I take some kind of action - scrolling, faders or even just trying to save. 6 hours today trying everything to fix it.

Same here. I have had Cubase crash on me doing random things like “Undo” or even as mundane as changing a time signature. Obviously no way to reproduce since it’s random.

Got a response from steinberg:

Hello M*****,
You have emailed United States support.
Please contact info@steinberg.de for support with your account, as Steinberg US is unable to access accounts outside of the United States.
Thank you.
A*****
Steinberg US Support

Wow! He didn’t even give a lame workaround or anything! Also they seem to have to verify that I indeed bought Cubase or whatever. How insulting.
Anyway, I don’t think the German team would be any better because I don’t speak German, that’s the reason why I emailed US support in the first place. I’m starting to rant, so, sorry! Will just wait and see if they respond with at least understandable English, if not I will just sadly use Cubase 8 or 9.5 for now, until it gets fixed, clearly they are getting lots of emails from us so they must fix it immediately!

Hi,

Make sure your plug-ins are up-to-date, please.

Especially plug-ins using iLk are quite tricky in Windows 10. PACE has updated the driver and the application to make it compatible with Windows 10, but some plug-in vendors didn’t updated to this very latest PACE software and they are still using an old technology. As a result, the plug-in can crashes (and take Cubase with).

Try to switch Cubase to the Windows 8 compatibility mode (because of the fact I wrote above, not because of Cubase itself). Does it help?

Could you attach a crash dump file located in Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps folder, please?

Hi,

Probably kind of automatic replay.

No worry, there are guys in the German support, whose can speak English very well.

Same issue here as well, seriously frustrating.

Recently made the switch over to Cubase from years of working with Logic Pro. Projects just quit to the Desktop with no error message whatsoever. This morning for instance I was in the process of EQ’ng a track and just listening to playback when Cubase just shutdown entirely - no error, nothing.

On macOS Mojave 10.14.5 / Cubase Pro 10.0.20

Hi,

Make sure your plug-ins are up-to-date, please.

Attach a crash file (located in the macOS utility Console, User Reports folder).

Hi Martin,

I am the original poster of the thread. Is there anything that you noticed in my crash dumps that I should be concerned over or try to change?

My plugins should be all up to date. I didn’t notice anything in the crash files that noted that it was a plugin issue, but if you see something that I don’t maybe that could help me narrow down the issue.

Thank you very much for your assistance. :slight_smile:

Same here. I got windows. It will no longer open my projects before it crashes and turn off with no crash report. I have all new driver and up to date everything else on my pc. I have mailed Steinberg and no respons. I am stressed and got a deadline. What to do?

Hi,

Do you use any plug-in with iLok protection?

Try to make a dump file by using Microsoft procdump utility, please.

Hi,

Unfortunately I can’t see anything specific in your crashes. Every single crash is different. I forward them to Steinberg CAN-23095.

Btw, macOS 10.11 is not officially supported anymore.

Could you try to trigger Repair Disk Permission from the Disk Utility, please?

Hey Martin,

Thank you for your speedy response. Yeah I am considering an upgrade to Mojave, I am just worried because last time I did it it made the crashes much more frequent. Also when I rolled back to El Capitan my computer seemed to have gotten chuggier and slower. Just something thats been concerning me…

So with that being said, I may have found the culprit. I am not 100% sure, only time will tell, but It seems like I had a few faulty plugins— I had a waves bundle that I had pirated back in 2013 that I completely forgot about. It may be the root of my issues. I just removed it and so far my projects haven’t crashed yet and I’ve been getting stable performance from Cubase for multiple hours. But still, due to the nature of the crashes, their randomness and lack of pattern, I can’t be sure if this was the issue just yet, I need to use it more. I will definitely report in this thread if i still get crashes.

I’ll run a Repair Disk Permission in the meantime, but just let it be known I have run several of those throughout the course of having this issue.

Thanks again!

Hi,

Old Waves plug-ins are really problematic. So hopefully, it will work for you now.

I don’t think it’s a plugin issue, because all previous builds of Cubase did not do this. It is also consistent with my laptop which has very few plugins. It too crashes without error warning. The realtime CPU meter fills up, hangs a little, then crashes to desktop!

I also like to add that this only happened when updating to 10.0.20, on the latest Windows 10 May update

thanks for your help, Martin, will try out your suggestions and report back…

update: I followed your suggestions, same problem. I doubt it is plugin related since the same project I was working on in 10.0.15 worked perfectly.
It was this latest update to 10.0.20 that broke it.

Here are my CrashDump files
CrashDumps.zip (1.69 MB)

I had lots of trouble(among these crashes to the desktop) with Cubase Pro 10.0.20 in MacOS 10.14.5 when it just came out, but after sifting/rescanning all my plug ins with the plugin manager it’s usable again.

All other measures I took in Mojave didn’t help, reinstalling OS, reinstalling Cubase, deleting prefs, etc.

Cubase also boots faster now.

I had no problems with Cubase 10.0.20(and previous versions) in MacOS 10.13.1, with the original VST’s(not rescanned) except for slow boot times.

So, make sure you don’t have stale plug ins hanging around

will try that when I get home, maybe Cubase will blacklist some old duplicate plugins or some free stuff I installed, probably some new code in Cubase that doesn’t work well with those stale plugins, I wouldn’t mind since I have 9.5 and 8 as backup

update: nope same problem, crashes to desktop. reset the vst locations to default paths, did a rescan, restarted, same issue.

most of my plugins were bought recently, oldest ones are from 2017, updated to latest versions
works perfectly on latest Cubase 9.5

here’s the latest crash dump
Cubase Elements 10.0.20.187 64bit 2019.6.8 0.23.40.580.dmp (629 KB)