Frequent Freezing on Startup .dmp attached

Cubase 13.0.30 64bit 2024.3.27 11.46.51.587-freezedump.dmp (867.4 KB)

Appreciate it if someone could debug this and confirm if it is an already known bug.

I eventually get into Cubase after two or more reboots, my session then remains stable.

Cheers,
Glenn

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Hi,

The crash is in Windows’ old MIDI WDM driver. In Cubase > Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup, enable the WinRT driver, please. This should fix it.

How many MIDI Ports do you use, please?

Hi there, and thanks for your reply. I’ve just switched to WinRT, and get no midi response at all. Here’s a screen shot showing my midi ports.

Hi,

It seems, your devices don’t suppot WinRT driver type.

Unfortunatel, Steinberg cannot do anything with it. The crash comes from the old WDM MIDI driver on Windows side.

Just tested using Cubase Pro 12, and WinRT works perfect there. Seems to me this is a Cubase 13 issue.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. If C12 doesn’t crash and C13 does, it’s hardly Windows fault. Same issues here.

Hi,

I don’t see any crash mentioning in the original description.

@orangebloom please don’t hijack with other topic. Make a new thread with proper title, description and attached crash file, please.

It’s not a crash as such, it just freezes until I kill the process, which at that point it does generate a crash dump.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Use the Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your hard disk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behaviour (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 13:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase13

Nuendo 13:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo13

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exceptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

1 Like

I rolled back my midi interface driver to an earlier version, and so far, the freezing on startup has not reoccurred.

WinRT still doesn’t work on Cubase 13 though, despite it working on Cubase 12.

1 Like

“The crash is in Windows’ old MIDI WDM driver” from your reply. I’ve already created a thread with a crash dump. No recent update from Steinberg on it.

Hi,

In this case, the crash is on old Windows MIDI driver. Enable the WinRT option in the Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup, please.

Hi Martin,

On CB13, Midi I/O does not work at all when WinRT is selected. However, it does work on CB12 without any issues.

Hi,

Which MIDI Device exactly do you use, please?

Hi Martin, it’s the ESI M8U XL

Hi,

Do you have the latest driver installed, please?

With the very latest driver, Cubase intermittently freezes on startup, and WinRT doesn’t work at all. I’ve since regressed the driver to an earlier version, and Cubase no longer freezes on startup, but WinRT still does not work.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Use the Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your hard disk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behaviour (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 13:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase13

Nuendo 13:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo13

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exceptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

1 Like

Dmp file generated when trying to enable WinRT.