From 5.5 to 6.5 -what are the main performance benefits?

5.5 is working adequately in the "Steinberg " way: ocassionnal glitches, program not loading, a vst plugin is missing,computer pickup,etc. I’m not trying to be sarcastic, I’ve accepted that’s just the way it is. That being said is 6.5 any more "stable "? What are the,say, three or four most worthwhile performance enhancements or "tools " which make the upgrade worth doing?

I could care less about new synths which seems to be the easy trend for generating additional company revenue. So what makes upgrading from 5.5 to 6.5 worthwhile in your opinion?

Thanks

So there are really no major perforrmance differences, just the new synths, effects and a few tweaks?

Having upgrade form V5.5 to V6, and looking at what V6.5 offers, there is very little if anything to gain from updating past V5.5

The appearance of Cubase went all grey and drab at V6 and we lost the colour coded channel strip types. I would stay with V5.5 until Steinberg get things right again.

For me, 6 (and 6.5) runs smoother than 5.5, plus the main reason to go to 6 was the comping system, which has been perfected in 6.5. I think it also looks much much better, but then, some call that a grey drab. I call it more sophisticated and less toyish.

Thank you for the reply, I was going to upgrade but there seemed to be the usual upgrade frustrations and mixed opinions about what one was getting, and that is just going from 5.5 to 6.0. If Steiny would just work on stability, functionality and backward compatibility, I would think there would be a lot of long time users who would pay for that as a “revision” alone. May be “fixing” things and “tuning” the engine so to speak is an admission of sorts, in the software development world no major company wants to admit to

Backward compatibility is a big issue with me: like many I create musical sketches on the fly with the intent to work on the pieces at a later date. But can I load something that is two or three revisions old? Usually something is missing or it doesn’t load at all. Albeit third party plugins are the problem where integration is concerned so perhaps the answer there is more of a closed system with the incorporation vats, but of course that might shrink profits. There is no easy answers just adventurist ones.

Having used Cubase since the Atari days it does get frustrating to see the same general problems over and over again compensated for with new synths which end up in the graveyard of development so much of the time, but that is the business model we’ve all come to accept.

I opened 5.5 yesterday to check a bug in 6.5 and it was like going back in time…Having used 6.x for a while I wouldn’t want to go back to v5.x

Everything’s just more refined and sorted in 6.5 as well as the included synths etc.

MC

Electrow, regarding stability in my experience both 5.5 and 6 have been absolutely stable and reliable. If you have problems maybe there are some plug-ins that cause them or something in your preferences has gone wrong, try to start out with new ones and see if the problems persist. Performance should be the same between 5.5 and 6.5, Steinberg had done some multi-thread improvements for multi-core computers in 5.5 but since then I think no changes have been made. For a full featured DAW like Cubase performance at least on Windows is already very good and the fact that it performs worse on the Mac is certainly due to Mac OS X itself, e.g. CoreAudio and Mac OS X’s multi-thread behaviour is not as efficient as ASIO on Windows. Having said that, I’m pretty happy with Cubase’s performance even on the Mac.

The problem with plug-ins missing when opening old projects unfortunately is a downside of the ever-evolving nature of making music with computers… usually when you update a plug-in old projects won’t be able to point to the updated version as they’re looking for the old version number. It’s up to the plug-in manufacturer to provide a mechanism around that (for example Altiverb 7 automatically replaces Altiverb 6 instances in old projects). I agree that Cubase has introduced and sometimes lost quite a few plug-ins in recent versions but if you’re concerned about future compatibility of projects it’s maybe better to use third-party plug-ins that will hopefully be developed for a longer time (and which you can use also in other sequencers if you wish).

You have to decide for yourself if you find interesting the new features introduced in Cubase 6, I for myself think that 6 has been the most significant update to Cubase in recent times, there are great new features like the new comping (in 6.5 at least), way better time-stretching algorithms than before, the new way to select and modify automation and CC data (when working with virtual instruments I find this invaluable, I can’t live without this anymore), multitrack audio quantize, better transient and tempo detection, note expression, more grid options in the project window, 64 bit support on the Mac and, at least in my opinion, a far better overall look: the mixer looks more organized and professional and less toylike and you have plenty of options to adjust the GUI colours to your liking. Plus in every new version there are always some small improvements that make life easier.

All in all I think Cubase 6.5 provides a significantly more refined and mature working experience than Cubase 5.5, I wouldn’t want to go back, I absolutely agree with Norbury Brook.