From Protools to Cubase

thank you Steve, Raino and Reasonantmind for your answers.

I know now that its not possible to get the exact same setup - I have sessions with 60 or more tracks (60 midi tracks and 60 audio tracks and fx tracks and more) so it would have been easier to see the midi track at the same place as where I mix them -

I am afraid if I use Steves solution 3 I will get a rack so big that I am afraid of lagging although I haven’t tried it yet.

One more thing I allready run my sessions as your suggestion 1 Steve thx , I now know that I am not all wrong :slight_smile:

I know that you do it that way, :stuck_out_tongue: because that’s the old-fashioned architecture Pro Tools and Digital Performer offer, which Cubase moved on from around 2010, (and kept the Rack for backwards compatibility.) Track Instruments were introduced in Cubase to simplify things, to nearly perfect success :wink:

Having one track per instrument means less brain work keeping track of channels and tracks. One name, one track, one instrument, one audio channel, its own set of inserts, automation etc., etc, etc.

You also benefit from having every instrument in your score being able to use the Listen Bus, for example, to hear one instrument louder than the others for proofreading, or tweaking sound.

And you can still use Track Instrument track with a multitimbral plugin, like you do now, and have all the midi events on different channels in that single track, for example if you have channelized articulations, with a single audio output or multiple outputs that you can set up in Cubase, right on that track.

I think Klaus’ suggestion is still valid for the current way things are done with instrument tracks as you can see with my picture. Not saying to change that, just to place MIDI tracks within the audio output channels of a multi-channel plugin so that instead of 8 Audio outputs AND 8 midi tracks, creating 16 total tracks which takes up a lot of real-estate on screen, just combine the 8 audio outputs and 8 MIDI tracks together

This would actually also be useful and enhance workflow, because usually to get certain MIDI instruments sounding right like strings - it’s a combination of editing MIDI and audio automation. Would enhance workflow maybe.

Hey Klaus if you need any help sorting out some of the Cubase specific ways of doing things, I will gladly drop by your studio. It’s only a 2min from where I live.
Just PM me and we can work something out.
Mvh. Peter Kærsaa

Sorry, I suggest you get deeper into how things work in this aspect.

Steve - the next thing I will do is make a template with one instrument on each track thx.

ResonantMind - I still wish that Cubase development department would cosider look into this, however the cubase workflow and the fact that its not lagging in huge sessions is way more important than this.

I had a strange experience with a session, with a large track count, started lagging after I started mixing with a lot of UAD plugins - I removed the plugins and the lagging was gone - I put back on the plugins and still no lag - nice

ResonantMind - I still wish that Cubase development department would cosider look into this, however the cubase workflow and the fact that its not lagging in huge sessions is way more important than this.

The point is they did that exact thing, and Track Instruments is what they came up with.

So I tried making a full session (template with instrument tracks) and it seems to be working well thx to all of you - Peter thanks for your help on our session the other day.