Frull./flt. doesn't stop

Hi,

I use the usual notation system to indicate frullato/fluttertongue/Flatterzünge: the ‘frull.’ indication on the first note, and the tremolo mark on all the notes affected. No end-of-technique mark is required.

However, playback in Dorico (with NP3) continues with frullato in my score. I searched an answer, but the various ways this technique is called seems not to allow me to find any result.

Paolo
frull.png

1 Like

I’m not a payback expert… but maybe you need to create a hidden ‘nat.’ playing technique to make the playback engine switch back to the normal sound? At least in the area of notation playing techniques with a duration are not yet fully implemented.

1 Like

Florian, you are right. Adding a hidden ‘ord.’ instruction works fine.

Paolo

Replying to myself after so long a time. As I’ve discovered later, techniques can be extended, and when they end it is like a Natural technique is automatically inserted.

Paolo

1 Like

@Paolo_T, would you mind elaborating on this a bit? What do you mean by extended? Thanks!

If you select the technique, and then move the right end to the end of the passage by using Shift-Opt-Right (on the Mac), the technique is extended over the full passage, even if it is an attribute-type technique.

Paolo

1 Like

There should also be some relevant info about playing technique durations in the manual here. Relatedly, playing techniques tend to show lines when they have duration, which you can read about here.

2 Likes

Thank you both, very helpful!