Function request: Plugin search box!

How many times you find yourself looking around countless dropdown and dropleft menus searching for that particular plugin you have in mind?

What if, right on top of the pull down plugins was there a search box?

What do you think? It would fasten up productivity? I think it would…

To know your tool would speed up workflow, but unfortunately they can not improve the users.
Would be the first to test the userupdate, just to brand those many features to my mindprom (reading access only) .

Had never problems to find my fx or vst.

Greetz Bassbase

Yes, we do need one. Hopefully we will get one for Cubase 7 :slight_smile:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22759&sid=21c7787e994326ac2734c1012e13de55&start=100#p151969

Aloha guys,

One question would be:

How many Cubase users have so many plugs
that they need this function.

Some users may only use (be able to afford) the current plugs
that come with Cubase and nothing more.

If this is the case it might be less efficient for
Steiny to code this into Cubase for all users.

But if coding this function is easy for the programmers,
I say ‘go for it’. IMHO It can’t hurt.

Perhaps a poll should be taken.

{’-’}

I would benefit hugely from a plugin /vsti search option. Good idea

P

It would be nice if Steinberg could, at the very least, let us drag n drop VST effects from media bay into the insert slots. I don’t know anything about coding, but I’m guessing that might be easier for them to implement given the existing media bay drag n drop architecture?

YES! gimme. I hate browsing menus.

yeah, I think it would be a nice touch. I have lots and lots of plugins. …it would make things go faster…

nexis

Handmade Pluginmanager made by a german user
Too much for me to translate properly but perhaps his tool might be a help for one of you to get stuff sorted right.

Wie gesagt, ich übernehme keine Garantie und auch keinen Support. Entweder funktionierts, oder nicht. Entweder Ihr kapierts, oder nicht > :wink:

Translation : As told, i won’t guarantie anything no support. It will work or not. You understand or not. :wink:

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23691&p=152191#p152191

Greetz Bassbase

Or failing any good plugin managers untill at least C7 then… Get rid of all those plugins you never use, most are just clutter anyway. Just how many phasers, flangers, compressors, delays, filters, eq’s and whatnots etc does one actually need?

Hmm not much :wink: but doesn^t each compressor/eq also virtaul has its own character?
And doesn’t the soundgurus use different eq f.e. for mastering`?

In my case i am completely satisfyed with all the build in stuff. and the fabfilter pro q.

Greetz Bassbase

Link above was just a link for those who need a pluginmanager, but still theres the speechborder eng -ger
And i myself don’t feel save enough to translate it.

Yeah but does one really need 20 compressors and EQ’s and 20 of everything else, I think not. If some peoples plugin lists were to be replicated in hardware you’d need a warehouse to put it all in. Most I bet is a vast collection of junk that never gets used.

Most I bet is a vast collection of junk that never gets used.

True thats why i have a dualboot one with cubase 32bit and 64bit and only stuff i need.
The other one with cubase 32bit games office internet to test all those demos and free stuff (where you can really find great stuff).

Greetz Bassbase

Yeah but does one really need 20 compressors and EQ’s and 20 of everything else, I think not. If some peoples plugin lists were to be replicated in hardware you’d need a warehouse to put it all in. Most I bet is a vast collection of junk that never gets used.

Well. Who needs 100 audio tracks? Who needs 100 midi tracks? Who needs 2500 chopped up audio clips in one project? Who needs scoring? Who needs 4000 drum samples? Who needs comping? Who needs anything but a 4 track tape recorder and four microphones?

That is just the thing with software - you can do things you would NEVER do with hardware because it would take so much time and it would be virtually impossible to automate and record in realtime.

All the other DAWs has a search function. It is not a question of only how MANY plugins, but also how easy it is to add them to your project, both to the mixer and directly to audio events in the project window. I don’t see how drag’n’drop support to the mixer Inserts/Sends and to the project window’s audio clips/events would be something negative for anyone.

It is not uncommon to have 8 compressors that one would use frequently (they are all very different - for different purposes), multiband compressors, limiters, multiband limiters, 4 different eq’s (they sound and act very different), different type of phasers, different type of flangers, different frequency modulators, alot of other types of modulating effects, 20 different various multieffects (scratchers, glitchers, timestretchers, tweakers), different vocoders, 6 different reverbs (they are all VERY different in sound and application), two different de-essers, transient designer, multiband limiters, multiband maximizers, alot of different type of delays, tap-delays, different type of chorus plugins, 5 different distortion plugins (extremely different in sound), overdrivers, alot of different filter plugins for different purposes, many enhancers, lovely tape emulators, frequency shifters, spectrum analyzer, stereo analyzer, stereo widening plugins of many different kinds and character, amp simulators, gates, multiband gates, midigaters, panning plugins, surround sound panners, etc etc etc… and don’t get me started on VST Instruments. :wink:

When I help out other bands to record and produce more of traditional rock stuff I only use a fraction of plugins and channels. Of course. No problem. Less is often more. But I don’t want to un-install all my software because of one session. :wink:

Also many of us share studios with other producers - and we still want our own favorite plugins.

It depends on what kind of music you do and how you create it. If you do complex electronic stuff with 120 layers and with automated plugins on everything… a plugin manager would increase workflow for sure.

How about just organizing your plugin folders by category, and or manufacturer. Works for me.

+1
and that’s one area from where the future growth in music may come.

Very true but are there enough purchasers of Cubase for Steiny
to code this directly into the programme?

Also
is it even possible to do this with all the different 3rd party VSTi developers?

Any Steiny coder able to chime in?

{’-’}

msy wrote:If you do complex electronic stuff with 120 layers and with automated plugins on everything…
a plugin manager would increase workflow for sure.

Very true but are there enough purchasers of Cubase for Steiny
to code this directly into the programme?

The dubstep scence will also use cubase and leave abelton live, :wink:

Greetz Bassbase

I do have to say although I’m not crazy about Reapers main plugin window I do like the search box, type in a few letters and bam there it is

+1, yes, a search box would be good.

Also a Recent Plugins list at the top too.

We also need a (friendly) way to manage plugin menus and maybe even plugin names. A tool like this along with a Recent Plugin list and a search box as well would cover all options.

Mike.