Future Contingents: Dorico Runtime App

You seem to be having a hard time with what I’m saying, pianoleo. There’s no difference other than that of exposure of end-users to a 30-day trial of a fully featured Max… After which, if they choose not to acquire it, they can keep Max with the same functionalities of a Max Runtime. There aren’t two apps any longer, but there’s no loss feature-wise for the end-users.

What on earth am I missing?

It says that after 30 days you can no longer save. All I’m really banging on about here is saving. If you can’t save in Max, that’s not much of a problem if you’re loading in patches, or modules, or whatever you want to call them, and using them - though presumably if you can’t save then you can’t share. In Dorico, if you can’t save then for most users it’s near useless, and for freeloaders who would rather leave Dorico running 24/7 than pay for it, it’s (literally) a gift.

Max isn’t and never was shareware… Like I have explained before in previous replies to you, that’s not what Max Runtime ever was to begin with.

I haven’t described Max as shareware at any point…

I’d just like to interject that Max Runtime disappeared because of two concurrent developments: the new licensing model and the eventual maturity of the ability to compile down to a self-contained application (although the two still existed simultaneously for a period, perhaps for the duration of Max 6, or so?).

Other than that, we already have a professional way of sharing sheet music, and it’s called PDF. Dorico LE’s offer seems, in fact, quite generous already, and I don’t see what would be the problem.

As far I can see you’re right about the reasons for it, LSalgueiro, and yes the last Max Runtime was for Max 6

What I meant by shareware in this context, pianoleo, is that Max Runtime would then enable end-users not only to share and run Max patches, but would also allow end-users to make and save them… Which never was the case, and that’s not what Max Runtime ever was to begin with. There’s really no cross-version differences feature-wise in this regard, between the Max Runtime days and now.

I think we’re back to square one, I’m afraid.

Back in post #9 you stated:

In case it still hasn’t sunk in, my point is that there’s no real value in being able to edit in Dorico unless you can also save (and as far as I can tell, saving is the restriction defined by whether you’ve paid for Max 8 or not). If both of those restrictions are lifted (for ensembles of any size) in Dorico LE you’ve basically got Dorico Pro, at which point (IMO) you should be expected to pay for it.

You’re welcome to hold any viewpoint, pianoleo, but our discussion has thus far turned around not on any other merits of my proposal, but on your initial point about the commercial viabilty of a Dorico Runtime app, by calling into question the commercial viability of Max Runtime. Good to know we got that settled.

You haven’t been terribly specific about what Dorico Runtime would or wouldn’t do, António. You’ve suggested “duly limited” access to all five modes, and “duly limited” saving, but the bulk of the thread you’ve been trying to clarify what Max is and isn’t (and, from what I can tell, I’d sufficiently figured that out before I typed a word on this thread). I apologise for my part in the greatest tangent of 2020 (so far!).

How would you suggest that Dorico Runtime achieves “full-blown sharing among musicians of their Dorico projects in a professional capacity”?

My aim with this is quite simple, pianoleo, my aim is to render any Dorico Pro end-user able to share their Dorico projects with people who might not own Dorico, and letting them experience the Dorico project interactively, including a mixdown of it as originally produced… To put it a bit abruptly, it would be a sort of free multimedia player of Dorico projects.

Aside from needing the right playback libraries, what can’t Dorico LE already do?
(I realise that Dorico LE has not yet been released to the general public, but it’s been intimated that it’s just a matter of time.)

Yeah, this is exactly the point of LE…

For the reasons you yourself just pointed out, pianoleo, I have limited knowledge of Dorico LE, so I can’t decisively say that it won’t be… But from what I’ve gathered, it would also be limited in the number of systems allowed in Play mode, and Print mode… Which would sort of defeat the whole purpose of what I’m proposing.

Dan, if that’s the case, and I hope it is, that’s great…

The operative point is that it’s read-only if there are more than the max allowed players or such.

You can check it out for yourself, António. Close Dorico entirely, then relaunch it while holding the Ctrl/Cmd key.
Maybe I could have made LE’s abilities clearer in post #4.

But like you yourself pointed out in that reply, pianoleo, it’s not exactly what I am proposing… What I’m proposing would allow full-blown sharing of Dorico projects.

But Dorico LE could very easily become such an app, definitely.

Oh, you mean like Scorch used to do with Sibelius files (and like Sibelius Cloud Sharing now apparently does, not that I’ve tried it)?

That would be great, pianoleo, yes… Full-blown sharing of Dorico projects, no more, no less.

If that’s what you want, it’s a hearty +1 from me.

:joy:
Happy new year, you’ve made my day!