Future features or...

Hi!
Now I’ve been fooling around with Dorico for a couple of hours and it really looks promising. After this first look there are some features I really miss, or maybe just can’t find:

• Filters: To filter objects for easy copying/deleting
• Arrange/Explode
• Choose which instrument/group of instruments to listen at when playing the score (without having to mute/solo in the mixer)
• Change/edit that brackets in the score
• When I set my sound card as default output it still plays through the computer headphone jack, even though the sound card shows up in the list.
• When adding instruments I can’t manage to add more than one instrument at the time before the menu closes.
• Change the size/font on bar numbers
• Will it be possible to save different type of “house styles” for different type of score layouts?
• I love the feature to add slurs to multiple instruments at the same time, why isn’t this implemented to dynamics too?

Best wishes
/ Mats

These ones fall into the “not yet, but (hopefully) soon” category:

• Filters: To filter objects for easy copying/deleting
• Arrange/Explode
• Choose which instrument/group of instruments to listen at when playing the score (without having to mute/solo in the mixer)
• I love the feature to add slurs to multiple instruments at the same time, why isn’t this implemented to dynamics too?
• Will it be possible to save different type of “house styles” for different type of score layouts?

This one falls into the “hmm, it shouldn’t do that” category:

• When I set my sound card as default output it still plays through the computer headphone jack, even though the sound card shows up in the list.

You might need to quit Dorico and restart it after making a change in the Edit > Device Setup menu in order for that change to take effect, at least for now.

This falls into the “the program is working as designed” category:

• When adding instruments I can’t manage to add more than one instrument at the time before the menu closes.

The popover is designed to close after adding an instrument to a player. You probably really want to add another player anyway, rather than continually assign more instruments to the same player. Type Shift-P in Setup mode to add a new player, which shows the popover so you can type the name of the instrument to add, then hit Return. You can add another instrument to the selected player with Shift-I, but be sure you really mean to create a doubling there.

• Change the size/font on bar numbers

You can do that in Engrave > Font Styles.

This one falls into the “tell me more” category:

• Change/edit that brackets in the score

Because the way that Dorico handles players and instruments is very dynamic (and will become more so over time) it’s not really feasible for us to provide the kind of direct control over creating brackets and braces as you might be used to from other software I have worked on in the past. Instead our approach in Dorico is to use a rules-based system, so you can choose between different bracketing approaches via the Brackets and Braces page of Engraving Options, but if you find there are conventions that are not yet covered, please let me know what they are, so that we can add them to our backlog.

Thanks for the reply Daniel!

• I really hope the “not-yet-category” will be realized soon. Whiteout them I’ll have to stick with Sibelius.

• I can’t get the sound output to work. I’ve even restarted my computer, it still plays through the head phone jack.

• Now I understand the philosophy about players/instruments and it works great! :slight_smile:

• I couldn’t find the font setup menu before, but now I’ve got it! :slight_smile:

• I also found the bracket settings, but there must be a bug here. In the Engraving options → Brackets & Braces I’ve selected “Orchestral” and “No secondary brackets” and then “Apply”, but the secondary brackets still remain. (Se attached pic)

Yes, I’m afraid there is indeed a bug there. You always get sub-brackets even if you don’t want them. I expect that problem to be addressed in the first update.

Hmm, this is strange. When playing the score it’s absolutely quiet, no sound at all and no movement in the mixer.

As I wrote earlier I can’t set up Dorico to play back through my sound card. When I edit the Audio Devise Setup and change to my sound card and hit Close the Apply-button is still not active. In other words, there are no settings to apply. When I go back Built-in audio is still the active ASIO-driver. No effect after restart.

In the CoreAudio Devise Settings, shouldn’t my sound card also show up there as an output?

Edit…
Now the orchestral sound sounds from the headphone output but still no go for my sound card.