Future requests

MasterRig is great, but could be much better if we have option to add 3rd party VST effects into the rig chain. For example Equalizer A → UAD Oxide Tape Recorder → UAD Elysia Alpha Compressor → Stereo Imager → Limiter.

Now we have to load up MasterRig with Equalizer A, then Oxide Tape and Alpha compressor as another insert effects, then MasterRig with Stereo Imager and Limiter.

Another and very useful feature would be something like safe clip for compression file like MP3. Sonnox Codec Toolbox has this feature which prevent audio in mp3 or aac from clipping. As Im using multi format export, where i have 16bit wav, mp3 192kbit, 320kbit, aac and aac+ for iTunes, there is no way how to control the compressed output level. So if i want to prevent 320kbit mp3 and aac+ from clipping, I have to pull the master fader approx about 0,8dB down, but 192kbit has still numerous clips in the exported file, so i would have to do separated export with lower loudness level for this particular format. Then i have to open the exported wav file and gain the exact volume level ive lowered by the master fader. If we would have the “safe clip” option which will prevent mp3 and aac from clipping it will make our life much easier and we could fully use multi format output.

I agree about the Master Rig having a generic VST slot. It might encourage me to try the Master Rig more. So far, I haven’t had time to try it much but it does seem pretty good, especially for a free/bundled plugin.

I also agree somewhat about the Safe Clip in Sonnox Codec being useful, but I only use it as a test for MFiT compatibility and not to control peaks on encoded files. I like that with Safe Mode enabled, the Sonnox Pro Codec app tells you if it had to reduce the WAV file gain before encoding to avoid overs. However, if there are overs I go back to the source montage in WaveLab, adjust and make new WAVs, test again, and make sure my master WAV files and any encoded mp3/AAC/lossy formats made from them will be “safe”.

I suppose it’s debatable but you might find better results on your rendered/encoded mp3 files from WaveLab if you make them without any dither applied before. In other words, don’t make the mp3 or AAC files from a montage that is dithered to 16-bit already. So at least for me, I have to make a separate montage anyway for the mp3 encode.

Because of this, I do a Save As… of a montage, remove the dither completely, and adjust the final limiter output slightly as needed (between -0.5 and -1.0dB) so that there is no clipped on the encoded file.

What I would actually find useful is a way to do multi-format renders in WaveLab from a montage, but to tell WaveLab to skip the dither plugin when encoding the mp3 or AAC version, plus a gain reduction if needed (similar to Safe Mode) to prevent clipping.

My guess is that this is not a realistic option though.

At first I thought the multi-output render feature was great, but then I realized that I don’t want to render WAV and mp3 from the same montage because WAV renders are usually 16 or 24-bit, but making AAC or mp3 can be done from 32-bit float for best results.

With Safe Mode, your audio is in theory going from 32-bit float, dithered to 16 or 24-bit, and if Sonnox Pro Codec has to make any changes to the level in Safe Mode, back to 32-bit float before the encode.

The better way is to encode from 32-bit float WAV to mp3/AAC with no other bit-depth changes in between.

I dont use audio montage, unless i have more tracks going to be mastered for compilation or as release with more track versions. I do mastering from single premastered file more often, so i have 24bit wav/aiff which goes thru effect chain and also TC Finalizer 96K

I forgot to mention crucial bug. When you do multifile export from file group and you are using external device, pop up message appears something like because you are using external device, simultaneous rendering isnt available and the other files will be rendered once the first rendering will finish. Then W9 get frozen for a couple of second and then crashing down.

I forgot to mention crucial bug. When you do multifile export from file group and you are using external device, pop up message appears something like because you are using external device, simultaneous rendering isnt available and the other files will be rendered once the first rendering will finish. Then W9 get frozen for a couple of second and then crashing down.

I don’t see what you mean. What do you mean with “using external device” ? What is the exact message naming?

When I have loaded in plugin slot “External Gear” then selected render from multiple files. Rendering is frozen or after first rendered file wavelab is crashing
Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 06.19.19.png

Here is crash report if it will help.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66626627/w9_crash_report.rtf

I see, thanks.