Future update(s) request....

Hey, firstly got to say still loving cubasis! automation a big step forward in the most recent update! Thank you :slight_smile: There are a few things I would love to see in a future update(s), I’ve listed below.

1. Folder grouping (things can get cluttered once I’ve bounced midi parts to audio)
  2. Side chaining
  3. Third party plugin support (similar to auria)
  4. Drum sampler
  5. Sub group mixing
  6. Time stretching

Hope that’s cool, thanks for reading, hopefully you have most of these on your checklist!

What’s the point in plugin support when we have IAA instruments and effects? This effectively allows third party apps to act as plugins in any compatible DAW.

I basically agree. However, for IAA to become truly feasible, two important problems need to be addressed (by Apple and the developers):

• Saving and restoration of all settings and state of the app used as IAA “plugin”
  • Ability to load several instances of the same app in multiple places (tracks, insert slots, etc.). This is extremely important – I can’t go and buy 10 seperate Delay FX apps just to have 10 delays :). Same with synths.

'Instinctive’s quote is exactly what I should have elaborated on when I say similar to Auria in my post regarding third party support, I think anyone would agree it would be an extremely effective workflow. Not only that but even having the plugin on the same project page as cubasis would be cool, no? Rather then going back and fourth between an IAA plugin and cubasis, not that I am complaining ofcourse, still think cubasis is probably the best all round DAW on ipad.

But that’s what send FX are for right?

I’m only kidding with you, yes I see your point, but rather than see Steinberg introduce yet another standard for iOS I’d rather see Apple further develop IAA to enable those things to happen. State saving can’t be too difficult as it’s already been done with Audiobus, but not sure they will ever allow multiple instances of apps.

Hi guys,

we have all those features on our request list. :slight_smile:

@crohde: Don’t worry, I wasn’t directly requesting features. No pasa nada! :smiley: Why are there so many Spanish on your development team? :open_mouth:

@sdesign: Haha, yeah, obviously I know what send FX are for… however, in the music genre I do most (Electronica), you work with lots and lots of different and specifically “crafted” delays, often even as a tool for getting melodies / sequences. But I know you were not being serious :slight_smile:

An alternative to multiple instances of an app (which I fear we might never see from Apple due to the inner workings of iOS) would of course be multiple inputs/outputs per IAA app, and then a traditional MultiMode.

As far as instrument apps go, maybe persuading the devs to make their apps multitimbral might help. A few apps are already like bs-16i, SampleTank and Alchemy, you just have one instance of the app and route multiple MIDI Channels to different tracks. This doesn’t let you Mix in Cubase or add effects to each channel though.

Yeah, though I never found a way in SampleTank to map MIDI channels, I think they’re fixed to 1-4? You’d have a problem as soon as you want to use two of that kind of apps :wink: And the lack of seperate outputs is also a problem. But I think AudioBus 2.0 supports routing multiple stereo pairs from/to an app?

So in effect, currently, AudioBus 2.0 would be the most complete solution. If your host all your apps support state saving and multiple inputs/outputs/MIDI channels, you’d be pretty much set.

In SampleTank, go to the Parts view, then choose the instrument you want to change MIDI Channel (so it turns red). Now tapping on CH 1 will make it move up to CH 2, CH 3 etc. up to CH 16.

There’s only two apps I can find that support multiple audio outs in AudioBus. That’s DrumJam and ThumbJam. Personally I prefer using IAA though as you can adjust mixer volumes, pan, use send FX, freeze tracks etc. in Cubasis, which you can’t do with AudioBus. The only real benefit is state saving at the moment but most apps save their last used state anyway so if you’re only working on one project at a time it’s not an issue. If I want to work with more than one song then I just make sure I’ve frozen/bounced all my tracks to audio.

That still means that if you come back to your other project and want to edit a note or automation, etc., you’re lost because you don’t have the settings of the synth in question anymore.

For me, the only possible workflow really is that everything is automatic. The last time I had to remember to save settings and write down what I used where etc. was in 2002 in my analogue studio :wink:

Hey, thanks for confirming!! :smiley:

Within Cubasis can not miss a reduced version of the Halion sampler :slight_smile:…i hope soon!!!

I certainly wouldn’t mind if Steinberg made an “iVST” standard.

I have lots of iOS synths but intend to squeeze every drop of use out of Micrologue because it works integrally with Cubasis. I’ve gone back to music files from years ago on my PC and they still open exactly as I left them, owing to the VST format.

Totally agree.

An ‘iVST’ type off system would be more flexible than the present bussing options. Total recall, patch data within the cubasis project data, and all the other benefits of a fully integrated system, would bring Cubasis more inline with the ecosystem of Cubase and Nuendo.

For anyone using Cubasis as a serious music tool. There wouldn’t be an issue with buying extra VST type add ons, even if they couldn’t be shared outside of Cubasis. A proprietary Steinberg system would only strengthen Cubasis’ position as a brilliant professional music tool.

Although Micrologue is essentially a free extra synth. It is a great example of what can be achieved with an internal VST type plugin. If Micrologue is free and as good as it is, imagine what could be expected with extra ‘payed for’ plugins?

I work with a number of Cubasis collaborators, both in my studio and remotely via email etc. At one point we tried working by mirroring Audiobus apps etc. on each of our systems. But the reality was that when we were sharing our Cubasis projects, there were many instances of ‘total un-recall’ with regard to certain parameter tweaking etc. from one system to another. While there are many brilliant external synths and plugs, it got to the point where we decided to only use Cubasis’ own features for transparency when sharing projects.

Many people will gladly pay £20+ for a nice synth like the classic Korg emulations. But me personally, I would rather have the option of paying that type of money for synths and plugs that where totally Cubasis integrated. And yes of course, any collaborators would also have to have the same plugins if we don’t want to use rendered audio parts. But if it were a transparent integration of all project data, like parameter changes, patch saves, sample data if an iVST Halion or sampler came along etc. Then the flexible options would be a real consideration, even in light of the extra costs.

These workflow suggestions have obvious advantages to local and remote collaborative work. But what may not be so obvious is the ease of workflow for a person working completely in isolation. Imagine being able to do a complete and total Cubasis project save with patches, samples, active present synth parameter changes that are not saved as a user patch etc. The ability to archive such a setup would have immeasurable value, especially when having to reinitialise an iPad, for whatever reason. Or even, just as bigcatrik has suggested, the ability to load up something from years ago for ‘utter and complete total recall’.

It is well understandable that there are many users of Cubasis, who simply treat it as an awesome fun app. And people who’s budgets are stretched with even the initial purchase of Cubasis, after saving up for what to many people is a very expensive piece of kit, the iPad. Then all this suggested extra expense and unnecessary complication, is understandably of no benefit. But, there are a lot of people out there who spend many thousand on audio/midi interfaces, monitors, amplifiers, external hardware processing etc. Who use Cubasis as the corner stone to serious music setups and to their profession.

I hope we do see a move toward this type of ‘complete’ Cubasis environment. But in the mean time, I am still completely blown away by this amazing software, and have been nothing but impressed with Steinberg’s resolve to the Cubasis platform.

Cheers,
Dave.

To be honest, except for playing around a bit here and there, IAA and audiobus are mostly useless to me.

No total recall, only one instance per app.

I call it a nice try, but totally impractical.