FW16e to Cubase no audio record

Hi you,

the problem seems to be that Interface is set to “MIDI”. This would only work if you had connected your XF with midi-cables to a midi interface on the PC, which is not the case. This is also the reason why the MIDI Ports are shown as “inactive”.

To switch to “FW” you have to navigate the cursor on your XF (with the arrow keys on the XF) to this entry. When the entry is highlighted you can use the wheel or the INC/DEC buttons to change to “FW”. Then press STORE on the XF.
Without FW as the setting it wont work as you can see.

If for any reason the FW entry is not “selcectable” I Would first suggest that you do a firmware update on your XF (the yamaha webpage helps in this case). If this also does not help I suspect the FW-card on the XF to be broken (but I still would try a different Firewire-Cable before taking further steps)

Cheers, Ernst

Thanks Ernst, I went back to the XF and succeeded in changing the interface back to FW and now the instrument tracks record, play and download. Why it was apparently locked before is unclear. I haven’t yet tried any audio tracks.

I hope you had a joyful end of year holiday.
Denis

Sorry I didn’t see this so I could help also. I have an XF6 with FW and can confirm that there are monitoring settings that can be a little tricky to catch when you are first setting up. Glad Elien helped and you are in a good state.
For what it’s worth, after you have some understanding of the monitoring settings, it should be smooth sailing. I’m very happy with using Motif & FW in Cubase and another DAW as well…

Thanks for the reassurance re XF6 with FW. It seems to be working OK now on both audio and MIDI