Fx routing in Cubase 8.5

i do want add a insert reverb to a channel …to start with and also a send reverb later
Can someone explain me how this exactly work in the Cubase 8.5 these days ?
Is there a video to find how the fx routing works in Cubase 8.5

Note: can i find this information in the manual perhaps?

Well, i looked to some videos…read in the manual and nothing brings me further with this basic stuff…terrible

To insert a reverb in a channel just insert one into an insert slot. Be sure to have the insert ‘rack’ visible in the mixer (or insert it in the inspector or channel edit window).

To create a send reverb add an FX channel and insert the reverb in an insert slot there. Be sure to see the ‘send’ rack in the mixer, connect the sends of the channels that you want to feed this reverb and go.

Does that help you?

Thanks,
Maybe…i open Cubase…add Halion5 and open mixer F3
Seems to be simple: a insert slot reverb and a send reverb with a FX channel.
Its about a orchestral setup with a pre and post fader setting with a reverb … i try to follow a video tutorial about this, but i don’t understand it yet the concept and must do this in Cubase too.

Ok i do wan to add a reverb fx insert to the Halion 5 channel ( in the mixer of Halion 5 i can indeed add a reverb ) , but in Cubase i get a chanel rack with a midi insert : routing-inserts-eq-strip-sends ??
Confusing…seems that i must add a fx channel for a audio effect in Cubase ?

I did now, but i must connect the Halion5 channel with the Fx channel ?

Fx channels, send effects, pre/postfader

You can’t use audio sends and audio inserts on midi tracks. You can do it on the (audio) output channels of Halion. There you will also find the pre/post cofiguration.

Thanks!

That sounds logical in Cubase : no audio on midi channels, but how to get a reverb on a midi channel?
It should be better if i know both ways to do this in Cubase and Halion …but now i don’tknow from both how to to get a pre/post configuration. :slight_smile:

Let me try to find out this first for Halion 5 and the mixer there …than i must go to the forum there
But how does de fx assigning for midi tracks in Cubase …still no clue

Also no clue for Halion 5 mixer… there are:
-slotbus channels
-aux bus channels
-output bus channels

• Child bus channels
  • depending bus channels

Pre/Post switch:

That sounds logical in Cubase : no audio on midi channels, but how to get a reverb on a midi channel?

There is no such thing simply. The midi track contains just midi notes feeding the VSTi. On the audio output of your VSTi you can add send fx.

Did you take a look at instrument tracks? They combine both midi & audio and have sends available as any other audio- group- or fx-track.

Thanks!
No it did not yet come to my mind till now when you pointed me to this.
Could it that i used a midi track in Cubase…yes…but probably i do need this for the multitimbral setup of HALion5 ?
But maybe a instrumenttrack can also be used for a multitimbral HAlion5 setup… i try this.
Yes, with this instrumenttrack i can insert a audio fx in the mixer…drawback from this is that i must load a new instance of Halion5 for every instrument track ( is tis a drawback for the CPU ? )

Working with midi channels and multitimbral used for one instance of Halion5 loaded for all 64 channels seems to be better for the CPU ?
But for the midi channels i do need a audio fx channel setup ? …and how about pre/post fader ?
Yes, i found the pre/post switch for a instrument channel track, where i inserted a fx reverb

I try to follow a tutorial in Logic made where the orchestral setup has reverb assigned to all the instruments and with the switch… pre/postfader there is a placement of the instruments possible ( in front or back )
I must try this to achive also in Cubase…can be useful for classical composing.

Instrument tracks can have multiple outputs (= multiple channels in Cubase’ mixer). What you can route there is set by the design of the instrument.
If you want to send different midi events on different channels to a VSTi the instrument track is limited in this regard I think. Works only with ‘rack instruments’.

To get things differentiated:
An instrument track allows you to see the acutal midi events that feed the instrument loaded. It is like a ‘normal’ audio channel - with inserts and sends etc. just with midi events on it instead of waveforms.
A rack instrument has audio outputs as well (of course…), they are just found somewhere else in your project window/mixer. It can receive midi inputs (on different midi channels if you like) from several midi tracks.

But hey, neither do I own Halion nor is midi a big part of my actual work, there are true midi professors here on the forum which might chime in :wink:

Working with midi channels and multitimbral used for one instance of Halion5 loaded for all 64 channels seems to be better for the CPU ?

The less Halions you load the less CPU you need I’d say…

But for the midi channels i do need a audio fx channel setup ?

See above…

…and how about pre/post fader ?.. I try to follow a tutorial in Logic made where the orchestral setup has reverb assigned to all the instruments and with the switch… pre/postfader there is a placement of the instruments possible ( in front or back )

Pretty sure you already know how it works - ‘post’ sends level in dependency from the channels fader, ‘pre’ works independent from the fader. That’s it all, it doesn’t work magic in terms of placement per se, but pre/post settings of course are one valid method to accomplish placement tasks if you build your mix accordingly.

Thanks!
Yes, i am using Halion 5 as a rack instrument
I think i must try to use midi channels in Cubase , because the composer i can use has also a midi drone what has midichannels in Cubase.
Then i can use only one instance of Halion5 as a multitimbral Vsti with 64 midi tracks
Now i must figure out the routing of the midi channels in Cubase …how to add audio fx to it.
Must i add a Fx channel in the mixer and connect the midi channels with it ?

So a instrument channels is not suitable for this wanted setup.

Thanks again!
I think the most easy solution is to use the Halion 5 mixer inside Cubase what also pre/postfader can perform.
Using Halion 5 Vsti multitimbral ( up to 64 midi channels, but less in the mixer ? ) in Cubase
The only thing is now to figure out how to setup Halion5 mixer routing for pre/postfader use.

The fader for the mixerstrips for the Halion midichannels in Cubase are used for volume …yes both move on the same time.
Maybe the same mixer functionality from Halion can be transferred to the Cubase mixer what has more features for mixing ?
This is a long term goal, study, because i am not a mixing professional.
For now i must go to the HALion 5 forum there to understand how the setup works for the pre/post fader configuration.

I think the mix placement of a Halion 5 instrument is now to follow here in this video from the Halion 5 forum